[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ITS EARLY, BUT WHO DO I KEEP????

Maulers16

Huddlers,

I am in a 12 Team NL only, 4X4 Traditional Roto league. We are switching to a Keeper League this year and will be allowed to keep a maximum of 1 position player and 1 pitcher if we so desire. We can only choose from players who remained on our rosters for the entire 2002 season - no traded players or pickups allowed to be kept. Below is my 2002 roster with the dollar value I "paid" in 2002 - we get to keep the player at the 2002 salary.

The question is who would you keep and why?

Position Players:

C - P. LoDuca (20)

C - C. Johnson (11)

1B - R. Klesko (29)

2B - E. Young (17)

SS - T. Womack (19)

3B - P. Polanco (6)

Corner - S. Casey (25)

MidInfldr - J. Uribe (17)

OF1 - L. Berkman (29)

OF2 - A. Jones (29)

OF3 - M. Stairs (2)

Pitchers:

P1 - A. Benitez (33)

P2 - J. Jiminez (10)

P3 - N. Cruz (1)

I had an awful year with the pitchers in 2002 so that is why I only have 3 from my original 10. As of right now I am leaning towards keeping Berkman - he gets the benefit of Kent & Bags hitting behind him & keeping Jiminez - I know he plays in Colorado, but for a 10 Spot and 40+ saves last season I think it might be worth the gamble. Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Midwest Maulers

Berkman makes sense. Also, I like Charles Johnson at $11 since he'll be playing in Colorado this year. It's not easy finding a decent hitting catcher. The problem with him is his .220 average but maybe the altitude will help that this year.

Maulers16:

Thanx Trojanmojo - what are your thoughts on the pitchers - worth keeping one of them or start all over for 2003?

BTW - North Jersey is my original stomping grounds - Hudson & Bergen County.  How 'bout you?

I live in Bergen County-- River Vale. I just moved here from L.A. last April. :D

As far as your pitchers go, I LOVE Jimenez for $10. I've always liked him but COL is a scary place for pitchers. Since he's a closer it's not as much an issue though. I think if I could only keep one player I might lean toward Jiminez now that I think about it as closers can be pricey and he notched 41 saves last year. That's 4 saves per dollar-- NICE. thumbs_u

i'm in a dynasty (est. 1982) league.

it's start from scratch every year.

a question about your keeper rule, or option.

what if you think they're all not worthy? do you move up in your draft? perhaps, get an extra pick at the end of the 1st rd?

in other words, if you decide to not keep anyone, or one but not the other position, how do you make up the disadvantage?

your pitching options suck. i'd start from scratch if you get some allowance.

berkman is the best of your hitting group. but he's an outfielder. probably a 2nd rounder in a start from scratch league. a lot of debateable ?'s about keeping him, if you have an option. otherwise, if you must, keep him.

thanks,

vince

I have to disagree adamantly with altthumbs. Jimenez posted a 3.56 era last year with 41 saves and a nice 1.19 whip. In a 12 team NL only Roto league, getting a closer with those numbers for only $10 is an absolute steal. He gives you by far the best value of any player you have though Berkman is your best player. The most important thing is saving value is a roto league. Since you are in an auction league and not a draft type league, any advice about going for more draft choices or moving up is moot. Good luck! :D thumbs_u

Allthumbs & Mojo,

Thanks for the responses.

Allthumbs - we are a Roto league. It is our option to keep 1 position player and/or 1 pitcher or keep noone. If I throwback all my players all that means is they are available on draft day and will go to the highest bidder. Not sure why you don't like Berkman too much - I mean a 300 avg, 125+ RBI's, 40+ HR's, and a few SB's to boot. This year the Houston offense figures to be better than last year with the addition of Jeff Kent. If Berkman goes into the #3 spot I can only see his numbers getting better in 2003.

Mojo - I agree...when you can get 4 saves for every $1 in a roto league you are doing pretty **** good - I am seriously leaning towards keeping Jiminez even with the chance Colorado could lose 90 games this year. In 2002 Jiminez had a saved 41 of Colorado's 73 wins.

Thanks again guys...Good Luck prepping for the upcoming season!!!

maul's and trojan.

my perspective is from a start from scratch league.

i've had many disappointments with relievers. u2, injuries, and benitez, come to mind. jimenez looks good on paper, now. i don't have a clue, and considering his ballpark, if he's the real thing in "a keeper league."

in our league, he'll go, say, 10th round, maybe. everyone here is scared of any colorodo pitchers.

Maulers16:

Allthumbs & Mojo,

Thanks for the responses.

Allthumbs - we are a Roto league.  It is our option to keep 1 position player and/or 1 pitcher or keep noone.  If I throwback all my players all that means is they are available on draft day and will go to the highest bidder.  Not sure why you don't like Berkman too much - I mean a 300 avg, 125+ RBI's, 40+ HR's, and a few SB's to boot.  This year the Houston offense figures to be better than last year with the addition of Jeff Kent.  If Berkman goes into the #3 spot I can only see his numbers getting better in 2003.

Mojo - I agree...when you can get 4 saves for every $1 in a roto league you are doing pretty **** good - I am seriously leaning towards keeping Jiminez even with the chance Colorado could lose 90 games this year.  In 2002 Jiminez had a saved 41 of Colorado's 73 wins.

Thanks again guys...Good Luck prepping for the upcoming season!!!

Don't forget the Charles Johnson effect too. This guy is a premier defensive catcher who's darn good at calling games. He can't hurt Jiminez. thumbs_u