[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Web page help needed

sunysteelfly76

I may be asking the impossible. I'm looking for a quick and easy way to make a password needed to open a link from my web page. The link will be to a spread sheet showing NCAA results. I don't want to have user names, just type in a password and the link/page will open. I'm using Microsoft Expression Web. I found this instruction page but to me it is neither quick nor easy. :wacko:

I may be asking the impossible. I'm looking for a quick and easy way to make a password needed to open a link from my web page. The link will be to a spread sheet showing NCAA results. I don't want to have user names, just type in a password and the link/page will open. I'm using Microsoft Expression Web. I found this instruction page but to me it is neither quick nor easy. :wacko:

Are you using ASP and an Access database? That looked complicated.

I remember doing this for a beta tester database I created at my old company, and I just used some perl or php script that I found on a google search. It wasn't the most secure thing in the world, but it worked.

I did a Google search:

http://www.zubrag.com/scripts/password-protect.php

That looks pretty simple if your server supports php.

If not, just search for "password protect web page cgi" or "password protect web page javascript" or something.

Do you have access to the webserver? I'm assuming it's a windows machine running IIS, if not please let me know. If you have access to IIS (the webserver) you should be able to password protect a specific directory. Here's a quick tutorial on how to do it:

Password Protect a Single Directory in IIS

EDT: Also, is this page of yours a dynamic page? Do you use a programming language or are the pages static?

Edited by BiggieFries

Ack. Who uses IIS when Apache is better and free?

I spit on your IIS. :spit:

I agree, but most people won't bother installing apache when IIS is already available.

Do you have access to the webserver? I don't know. :wacko: It's my webpage but to get started my school had a template in place that I built off of. I can edit my webpage from home. I'm assuming it's a windows machine running IIS, if not please let me know. Yes If you have access to IIS (the webserver) you should be able to password protect a specific directory. Here's a quick tutorial on how to do it:

Password Protect a Single Directory in IIS

EDT: Also, is this page of yours a dynamic page? I don't know. :D Do you use a programming language or are the pages static? I don't write any code, I just click on tools and work on it like a word document.

Edited by sunysteelfly76