[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fly Fisherman

Missoula Griz

Any of you spend much time on the rivers or lakes fly fishing? I float the 4 local rivers 20-30 times a season.

The Skwala (stonefly) hatch has been going strong for the last week on the Bitterroot river. What makes this river unique is you can

fish a dry fly from March through October. There are not to many other places in the world which gives you this option. Fish will rise for these big bugs even though water temperatures are still pretty cold.

The highs are only in the low to mid 40's, but the fish continue to look up. I have my first float this Friday. These are the 4 main RIVERS we fish.

I am intrested to know about other areas you have fished dry flies.

I only WISH I could get out and do some dry flies now. We have had so much rain the rivers are swollen an ugly brown and running too fast for boating. I did however get to make the annual coach's trip to Bennet Springs State Park in mid Missouri yesterday and we just slayed rainbows using different maribous and rubberlegs. I know they're not the same as dry flying but we gobbled up several pounds of fillets in the cornflake mix someone gave a couple years ago. Not five minutes from stream to mouth. I am still bloated. :wacko:

i love cutting in on an orvis homo in my shorts and spinning rod on our local trout streams... i through a number 11 rap and catch way more than those homo's... they get real pissed when they have fished a spot for hours and i walk in and catch a 20 incher under them... :wacko:

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

i love cutting in on an orvis homo in my shorts and spinning rod on our local trout streams... i through a number 11 rap and catch way more than those homo's... they get real pissed when they have fished a spot for hours and i walk in and catch a 20 incher under them... :D

:wacko: power bait.

meh. Give me a nice ugly rabbit fur streamer and a fish that will fight (i.e. pike and smallies) instead of those a tasty morsel trout.

Edit to Add: DMD's language censor has got to be one in a million. :wacko:

Edited by wirehairman

meh. Give me a nice ugly rabbit fur streamer and a fish that will fight (i.e. pike and smallies) instead of those a tasty morsel trout.

Edit to Add: DMD's language censor has got to be one in a million. :wacko:

use them on the st croix for the large, i mean large, bronze backs ...

Clark Fork near the Regis mouth....one of the best days of fishing I've ever.

Some sick pod fishing up there. I hit it a few times a year. Tarkio to Forest Grove under cloud cover can be unreal as well.

Edited by Missoula Griz

I used to fly fish. I find it impossbile task with Jr. in tow these days. I do however catch more fish than I ever have.

Much of my floating revolves around my children. We cannot use bait on a lot of our rivers so they throw rapallas or the pather martin. i have floated people from California who could not believe they were catching fish in an area which was not stocked.

Much of my floating revolves around my children. We cannot use bait on a lot of our rivers so they throw rapallas or the pather martin. i have floated people from California who could not believe they were catching fish in an area which was not stocked.

when my river (little missouri) is floatable you do not worry about fishing. It is class three with some near class 4 lol.

when my river (little missouri) is floatable you do not worry about fishing. It is class three with some near class 4 lol.

The Alberton Gorge on the Clark Fork has similar technical water. There are some monster trout in that area. Its a pretty bumpy ride, but there is nothing like hooking a hog and having to bring him in on a class 3-4 rapid.

i live one mile and 5 miles fromm the 2 best streams in sconny... the the upper and lower kinni have 2000- 3000 fish per mile( smaller fish)

the rush has fewer fish but much much bigger

Edited by Yukon Cornelius