[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A question for the huddle lawyers

SeductiveNun

So a couple years ago, my now ex-girlfriend (she was my girlfriend at the time) was moving out of her house in Chicago and going back to her parents in New York. Her parent's house apparently was too small for all her stuff, so she asked if I would hold on to some of her things and I said OK. Fast forward a couple years now - things didn't work out between us, and the breakup was actually kind of ugly, but I have since met a wonderful girl who will be moving in with me shortly. The thing is I have to get rid of all the stuff that belonged to the ex. I was told to send a certified letter to her telling her that she needs to make arrangements to remove her things from my house by a specified date. Most of these things are far too big to send in the mail as well. Is there anything else I need to know about this? My buddy who also knew my ex is concerned that she could get vindictive and sue me if I did anything to her stuff, which I wouldn't do such a thing anyways, but it got me to thinking. While I would like as little to do with my ex as possible, this is one thing I would really like to make sure doesn't come back and bite me in the ass years down the road. Thanks.

So a couple years ago, my now ex-girlfriend (she was my girlfriend at the time) was moving out of her house in Chicago and going back to her parents in New York. Her parent's house apparently was too small for all her stuff, so she asked if I would hold on to some of her things and I said OK. Fast forward a couple years now - things didn't work out between us, and the breakup was actually kind of ugly, but I have since met a wonderful girl who will be moving in with me shortly. The thing is I have to get rid of all the stuff that belonged to the ex. I was told to send a certified letter to her telling her that she needs to make arrangements to remove her things from my house by a specified date. Most of these things are far too big to send in the mail as well. Is there anything else I need to know about this? My buddy who also knew my ex is concerned that she could get vindictive and sue me if I did anything to her stuff, which I wouldn't do such a thing anyways, but it got me to thinking. While I would like as little to do with my ex as possible, this is one thing I would really like to make sure doesn't come back and bite me in the ass years down the road. Thanks.

There's the legal side, and the practical side. On the practical side, no one would fault you for dumping that junk. However...

Once you accepted possession of her stuff you became what is called a "bailee" for her. That is to say, the stuff isn't yours, but you're reponsible to take care of it, and any she can legally collect any economic loss she experiences because of your acts or negligence. I agree with whoever gave you the advice to send her the certified letter. Give her a REASONABLE amount of time make other arrangements (a month?), after which you are disclaiming any responsibility. If you don't hear from her, and she tries to come back on you for it later, her inaction coupled with your letter and the "practical side" of things noted above will provide a much stronger defense than if you'd never sent the letter in the first place. The other option is to dump the responsibility on someone else who'll accept it, like her parents. If they accept responsibility, you're sorta off the hook.