[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sharks - Avs

Hugh 0ne

Bier Meister:

Another goal taken away from the sharks!

It was a tough call, but since the whistle blew, the shot should never have been taken, hence a goal was not really taken away. The possession call is a tough one, but after watching it, it seems like the right call was made.

Guest Azazello13
Bier Meister:

I still haven't seen a replay. It reminds me of the Brady call.  Probably the right one, just blows.

nothing like the brady call. forsberg took a penalty, the ref's arm went up so rhino tipped the puck out not caring where he tipped it, the whistle blew and everyone stopped playing but marleau. it's not really his fault because he probably didn't hear the whistle, but it was never close to being a goal.

now about blakey's goal...did you see that pass from forsberg?! eek! thumbs_u :D

Guest Azazello13
Bier Meister:

Yes, don't you hate it when a penalty acts against you?

Clear as day, like the one take away because of an early whistle on Mon.  Yeah, av's don't get any breaks.............

don't you get it? that wasn't a "break". reinprecht tipped it nonchalantly out to center (where marleau was all alone) because he knew as soon as he touched it it would kill the play. the avs d stopped skating because they knew it was a penalty. the whole scenario wouldn't have happened the way it did if it wasn't a penalty.

Azazello13:

Bier Meister:

Yes, don't you hate it when a penalty acts against you?

Clear as day, like the one take away because of an early whistle on Mon.  Yeah, av's don't get any breaks.............

don't you get it? that wasn't a "break". reinprecht tipped it nonchalantly out to center (where marleau was all alone) because he knew as soon as he touched it it would kill the play. the avs d stopped skating because they knew it was a penalty. the whole scenario wouldn't have happened the way it did if it wasn't a penalty.As much as it pains me to say so, Az is correct. The possession call is debatable, but probably the right call, but the bottom line is the whistle blew, so the play was dead back in the Sharks zone, long before the breakaway occured.

Bier Meister:

I get the concept.  It wasn't so clear cut. 

Agreed.

Bier Meister:

Great 2nd period!

Agreed.

Although I have to be at work at 6am, I will stay up and watch the end of this one. Being on the east coast has its' disadvantages.

**** Hugh!

I got pooped a couple of weeks ago and couldn't finish watching one of the games (can't remember the teams).

I was in NY the year the Rangers and Knicks. Very fun time. I think they played Van. The place was crazy.

Bier Meister:

**** Hugh!

I got pooped a couple of weeks ago and couldn't finish watching one of the games (can't remember the teams). 

I was in NY the year the Rangers and Knicks. Very fun time.  I think they played Van.  The place was crazy.

That would be 1996. NY is a great place. Go Avs, as I look forward to having your sig line. wink

It's nice to see knowledgable Sharks and Avs fans. It's like watching a puppy grow up the maturation process is worth witnessing. I remember when Colorado fans would boo obvious offsides calls made by the refs. To their credit, I haven't seen it anymore.

They can enjoy a hockey game like I have been able to for years. It's good for the game. :D

Voltaire:

It's nice to see knowledgable Sharks and Avs fans. It's like watching a puppy grow up the maturation process is worth witnessing. I remember when Colorado fans would boo obvious offsides calls made by the refs. To their credit, I haven't seen it anymore.

They can enjoy a hockey game like I have been able to for years. It's good for the game.    :D

Colorado has a huge influx of people from the Midwest and East Coast. So even back in 1995, you had thousands of life-long hockey fans packing the stadium from New york, Chicago, St Louis, Minnesota, etc. Plus you had a lot of 1970's-80's Colorado Rockies fans come back out of the woodwork. Sharks situation is probably pretty similar- with the old Seals fans and a large population from traditional hockey markets.

Guest Azazello13
chiefs:

Colorado has a huge influx of people from the Midwest and East Coast. So even back in 1995, you had thousands of life-long hockey fans packing the stadium from New york, Chicago, St Louis, Minnesota, etc. Plus you had a lot of 1970's-80's Colorado Rockies fans come back out of the woodwork. Sharks situation is probably pretty similar- with the old Seals fans and a large population from traditional hockey markets.

another factor that separates colorado from, say, DALLAS as a hockey town with a little history is the local collegiate hockey history. DU was a MAJOR hockey power in the 50s and has been a solid hockey school ever since. colorado college has had a very good program for years as well. little things like that go a long way toward making a little cow town south of the 40th parallel into a real hockey town. but obviously the most important factor pushing that whole learning curve is having an exciting, successful team to get behind. but at this point, i think even if the avs start to falter in the future they'll have pretty solid support. same probably goes for the sharks, as san jose (and the whole area, of course) has developed a pretty solid hockey fan base that should be around for a while. places like dallas, i think, are another story.

i was at the game last night and, in the flow of the game, i didn't see where Marleau's goal should have been waived off due to Forskin's charging penalty. I didn't see any reply yet. Other obvervations?

blake is awesome. he was patrolling like a 6'4" junkyard dog and his goal was picture perfect.

Sakic's goal on the stick side was a thing of beauty and really took the "playoff loud" crowd out of the game.

Avs much faster into and through the neautral zone, an area the Sharks controlled in game 3.

Nolan played like the warrior captain in game #3 as he delivered hits all over the ice. He didn't seem to play game #4 w/ the same intensity.

Haven't checked the stats, but doesn't seem like foote has his usual number of minutes. At many points Blake was teamed with Kasper and sometimes Skoula at even strenght.

at one point the sharks had #s 7, 8, 9, and 10 on the ice at the same time.... interesting if not important.

I played lacrosse in high school and college. At the time the bay area did not have a team. I sellective chose a couple of team to follow so I could learn about the game. I chose two decent teams at the time, but ones that were not leading their divisions. Ones that had low points allowed- as I have always been defense minded in sports....... Det and Mon. As soon as we got the sharks with good ol' friezen and ibre, I rooted for the home team.