[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Airlines...

ABearWithFurniture

With all the talk about airlines/airports making the rounds, just thought I'd throw this out there. I generally travel by plane at least one day approximately 40 weeks out of the year. My company, as one of their travel rules, specifically states we are to travel through SouthWest unless it doesn't fly into a local airport. So most of my flights I do use SW but fly most all the other carriers at some point during the year at least 1-2 times.

I picked a random date in the future (Tuesday, June 10th, 2008) for a 1-way flight on each of the major carriers just to see what their cheapest flights, layovers, time was like and this is what I came up: (these are all base fares and don't include tax, checked bags, security fees, etc...)

June 10 - Houston to LA

SouthWest

Flight 1564/1927

1 layover - Phoenix

Price - $105

Total travel time (in hours including layover) - 5:05

United Airlines

Flight 775/1449/6451

2 layovers - Denver and Phoenix

Price - $178

Total travel time - 7:20

American Airlines

Flight 3574/1109/813

2 layovers - Dallas and Austin

Price - $212

Total travel time - 7:50

Delta Airlines

Flight 2044/1030/7788

2 layovers - Atlanta and Phoenix

Price - $245

Total travel time - 12:47 (but you get to see lot's of America :wacko: )

Continental Airlines

Flight CO1420/CO4380

1 layover - Atlanta

Price $403

Total travel time - 7:33

NorthWest Airlines

Flight 3823/3586/181

2 layovers - Atlanta and Memphis

Price $1,247 :D

Total travel time - 9:44

Jet Blue - Doesn't fly from Houston to LA

Reason for Southwest's cheap flights stems basically from this blurb I pulled from that StarTribune article about the airline ratings...

"Southwest, which led the pack of big airlines with a customer satisfaction score of 79, is the only major U.S. carrier that is not being hammered by high fuel prices, because the Texas-based carrier hedged much of its fuel supply at lower prices."

My guess is that NWA does not fly into HOU that much, so they code share with Delta to get you from HOU-ATL and then it is probably NWA from there. If you fly out of IAH, NWA drops to $482 and one layover.

Who would want 2 layovers anyways on any of those flights :wacko:

Edited by Outshined

Who would want 2 layovers anyways on any of those flights :wacko:

Especially since Atlanta is the other way...you almost get to fly back over the airport you left (5 hours before) on your way to your original destination...

Point is, a lot of these airlines have operated on a monopoly mentality for years and years until SouthWest came along and defined pretty much what the friendly skies should be...JMHO

Point is, a lot of these airlines have operated on a monopoly mentality for years and years until SouthWest came along and defined pretty much what the friendly skies should be...JMHO

Remember the Hawiian Airlines plane that opened like a sardine can over the pacific ocean 10-15 years ago? There were fatigue cracks in the fuselage that did not get repaired or were not found when the aircraft was in for a heavy maintenance inspection. Well since that happened, mandatory inspections were set in place for the 737's.

Sometimes there is a reason they operate for less...

Edited by Outshined