[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

F'ing ebay poachers

detlef

Congrats watergirl65!!

The feedback cracked me up - apparently this ebayer has had other watergirls but detlef was the best :D

Congrats, watergirl. :wacko:

:D I was figuring this was going to happen. Needless to say, it's my wife's account...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what's the deal with reserves and why do people bother using them?

That is, rather than just setting the opening bid at the minimum they're prepared to accept?

An update on the detlef e-bay furniture shopping spree:

After getting punked out of that table, I've e-sniped two occasional tables and successfully best-offered a very cool bench. I've also visited the website of another e-tailer who I first saw on e-bay to purchase a dining room table and chairs. I have a credenza lined up with them but I wanted to see how an auction that was going to end at midnight ended up on this really nice one (same person who sold the table I got beat on).

Using my trusty new e-snipe, I dropped in a max bid of $1225 and actually was the high bidder at $760 but did not win the item because it hadn't reached reserve. Now, I know that if your max bid is higher than the reserve price, it will bump your bid up to that number at the end of the auction as that happened with one of the occasional tables. My max was $450, I got it for $350, but the next highest bid was only like $175 or something. So, these guys must have set it above $1225.

None the less, the whole reserve thing is sort of annoying.

So, what's the deal with reserves and why do people bother using them?

That is, rather than just setting the opening bid at the minimum they're prepared to accept?

A good question and something I've wondered about myself.

Maybe it's so the bidders are conned into thinking "Wow. . what a low starting bid!" so it gets the ball rolling quicker? Like the inverse of going to a car dealership and talking the salesman a few grand down from the sticker price. You feel like you got a deal, but the original price was a total ripoff.

:wacko:

A good question and something I've wondered about myself.

Maybe it's so the bidders are conned into thinking "Wow. . what a low starting bid!" so it gets the ball rolling quicker? Like the inverse of going to a car dealership and talking the salesman a few grand down from the sticker price. You feel like you got a deal, but the original price was a total ripoff.

:wacko:

That is exactly the reason. The 'insertion fee' (:softball:) is also less if your starting bid is lower. One of Ebay's tips when selling is to have a low starting bid as statistics show that those items sell more often (even though the final price may not be different). This whole auction thing can be as much about psychology as anything else it appears.