[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pittsburgh Pirates

Menudo

With a win tonight, my Pittsburgh Pirates would reach their holy grail of a .500 record at their latest point of the season since 1998. For those that don't know, the Pirates on the verge of setting a pro sports record for the most consecutive season's of finishing under .500. They have not finished a season at or above .500 since 1992. That was the last time they made the playoffs, prior to the departure of most of their stars: Bonds, Bonilla, Drabek, etc.

As a diehard Pirates fan, it has been a painful experience through those years. It is very tough to compete as a small market team in baseball. You don't have money to buy yourself out of mistakes, and mistakes are all that Pirates management has made since that 1992 season. When they do sign guys to big money, they would either sign the wrong guy, or do it at the wrong time: Kevin Young, Jason Kendall, Derek Bell, the list goes on and on........ When they had someone come up with any potential, the coaching staff would seemingly ruin that potential and players would go downhill with their career (see Chad Hermanson), or they would get traded elsewhere and finally meet their potential (see Jason Schmidt).

After all of this, I can finally say with confidence that the Pirates are FINALLY on the right track. They probably won't finish this season at .500 or better, but, they still are heading in the right direction. I've been watching them all season, and under new ownership, a new front office, and new management, this team finally gets it. They are doing the little things right for the first time in a LONG time. They are moving runners over, getting down bunts, and playing the kind of baseball that a small market team needs to play to give themselves a chance to succeed. Instead of passing up top talent at the draft, due to concerns over signing them, this year, they decided to get the best player on the board with their #2 pick. Nate McClouth & Ryan Doumit are emerging as young leaders of this offense. Jason Bay has put last year's poor season behind him and appears to be back on track. Xavier Nady is continuing to produce for this team. Adam LaRoche, well, he has been simply AWFUL. If he can come around, and Freddy Sanchez can continue to pick it up, this offense has potential. The bullpen has been surprisingly good. Their starting pitching, which many think can be their strength has been inconsistent, but, probably is where they hold the most talent. They have been coming on of late.

So, to make a long story short, I am excited about the Pittsburgh Pirates for the first time in several years. .500 might not happen, but, I'm enjoying watching this team play baseball for a Manager who is teaching them how to win. They have the nicest park in baseball, and great fans in Pittsburgh. It is about time that they bring us some excitement.

:wacko: Lets Go Bucs !!!!!!

:D

Capps 2nd blown save puts us back to 3 under 500. :wacko:

I have to agree with Menudo. I really like the young talent & I like Russel's style. I think this team can hang around 500 all year. I'm interested to see what they do come July. I've read that Nady will be traded. I've also read that they we're trying to sign LaRoche to a long term deal but now with him stinking they might just give Pierce the job.

So they will now trade Bay, Nady, and McClouth and the same thing happens all over again. :wacko: Until they start hanging on to the talented players they have, I will still be a non-believer. I grew up spoiled I guess. I was used to the Bucs having competitive teams every year in the 70s and 80s, and even early 90s. Sorry to sound so pesimistic(sp?), and I really hope you are right, Menudo. But until they show me something, I won't believe any of it. I am sick of the losing, PERIOD.

So they will now trade Bay, Nady, and McClouth and the same thing happens all over again. :wacko: Until they start hanging on to the talented players they have, I will still be a non-believer. I grew up spoiled I guess. I was used to the Bucs having competitive teams every year in the 70s and 80s, and even early 90s. Sorry to sound so pesimistic(sp?), and I really hope you are right, Menudo. But until they show me something, I won't believe any of it. I am sick of the losing, PERIOD.

McClouth isn't going anywhere for a while. Nady will be traded, unless, by some chance, the Pirates were contending at the trade deadline. The reason for this is that he is a free agent after 2009, and will cost more than they will want to pay him at his age. With Bay's rebound year, I think he stays and the Pirates find a way to get him signed.

I completely understand your being pessimistic. The Pirates have been downright dreadful and frustrating for 16 years. They aren't going to contend this year and probably won't finish at .500, but, for the first time, I see things heading in the right direction with the new management and front office men. This is the first time I felt like they were righting the ship in a LONG time.