[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Heart worm shots........Do they work?

Ziachild007

Found out three months ago that our pooch has heart worms. :wacko: The vet told us to start him on heart worm pills for three months and then they would start him on a series of three shots. From my understanding he will have to go in and stay overnight (possibly two days) for each shot. After the three shots they will re-evaluate him and see if/how much it has helped. Of course I want to do what is best for my pet, but I have a few concerns about doing the shots. First thing is the way it has been put to me is that heart worms for dogs is like cancer for humans. It can be treated, but is very hard on the dog during the process (sort of like chemo would be). Second thing is I have been told by a friend that used to work for a vet was that the shots are not guaranteed to help at all. And finally the shots are in the neighborhood of $600 (roughly $200 per shot). So I am just trying to decide if it is the right thing to do to pay for the shots and it not only not help, but instead put him through more pain and suffering. Has anyone here had any experience with this sort of thing and how did it work out for you and your pup?

Found out three months ago that our pooch has heart worms. :wacko: The vet told us to start him on heart worm pills for three months and then they would start him on a series of three shots. From my understanding he will have to go in and stay overnight (possibly two days) for each shot. After the three shots they will re-evaluate him and see if/how much it has helped. Of course I want to do what is best for my pet, but I have a few concerns about doing the shots. First thing is the way it has been put to me is that heart worms for dogs is like cancer for humans. It can be treated, but is very hard on the dog during the process (sort of like chemo would be). Second thing is I have been told by a friend that used to work for a vet was that the shots are not guaranteed to help at all. And finally the shots are in the neighborhood of $600 (roughly $200 per shot). So I am just trying to decide if it is the right thing to do to pay for the shots and it not only not help, but instead put him through more pain and suffering. Has anyone here had any experience with this sort of thing and how did it work out for you and your pup?

Sounds expensive... We had a rescue dog one time that had a bad case of the worms and from what I remember they gave him a series of treatments that cost around $200 total. Basically they give them poison, that is what kills the worms, the dosage is just low enough to not kill the dog. One word of caution, your dog will have diahrhea for a day or two after he comes home, do not leave him in the house while you are at work... In my case, we had the dog in a crate, fortunately he put his butt against the cage and sprayed all over the floor, but it was still a huge freaking, foul odored mess.

The treatment worked for my dog...

Just took the pup in last night and got a 12 month supply of "Heart Guard". They never mentioned shots.

Your pup probably is not in the advanced stages of heart worm disease.

Just took the pup in last night and got a 12 month supply of "Heart Guard". They never mentioned shots.

Thats a preventative. The process I am talking about is for dogs that are already diagnosed with heart worms.

Thats a preventative. The process I am talking about is for dogs that are already diagnosed with heart worms.

Zia, I have never heard of a dog dying from this procedure... Not that I'm up on the statistics or anything, I'd give it a try. If you don't do the procedure, he will die and it will be slow and painful. If price is an issue, typically Vets will set up a payment plan or will reduce the cost to help you out, you just have to be upfront with them. Believe me, they would rather work with you than sentence the dog to a slow painful death...