[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts Camp

devilwoman

From the Canadan Press

Peyton Manning misses another day at Colts training camp

1 day ago

INDIANAPOLIS — Peyton Manning still hasn't made it to training camp.

The two-time league MVP missed his second straight day of Colts practice Saturday as he continues to recover from knee surgery at his Indianapolis-area home. He had an infected bursa sac removed from his left knee July 14 and doctors have instructed him to stay home to avoid risking another infection.

Neither Colts coach Tony Dungy nor Manning, who addressed the injury during a conference call with reporters Thursday, have said when he is expected to arrive at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, where the Colts practice through Aug. 15.

It's an unusual situation for the Colts. Since signing his rookie contract in 1998, after a five-day holdout, Manning has rarely missed a practice or team meeting. One of the most durable quarterbacks in league history, Manning has started all 160 regular-season games during his 10 seasons, the second-longest streak in league history behind Brett Favre's record 253 consecutive starts.

Jim Sorgi, who has backed up Manning the last four seasons, has replaced Manning at practice. Indy also signed two veteran quarterbacks, Quinn Gray and Jared Lorenzen, on Thursday.

Receiver Marvin Harrison, who returned to practice Friday, was not on the field Saturday morning but took to the field in the afternoon. Dungy said Harrison was scheduled to practice only once a day.

Two other veterans were missing from practice Saturday - linebacker Clint Session and defensive tackle Quinn Pitcock. Dungy said both were excused for personal reasons.

Both are in their second season with the Colts, and Session could play a critical role in replacing the injured Tyjuan Hagler (torn pectoral muscle). Hagler has been placed on the physically unable to perform list and Dungy does not expect to him back until at least October. When practice opened Friday, Session was practising with the starters.

Dungy said that the team may have an announcement Monday about Pitcock. Anyone know what this may be???

Two players left practice early with injuries.

Rookie linebacker Philip Wheeler, a third-round pick out of Georgia Tech, hurt his knee. Second-year defensive back Melvin Bullitt injured his knee.

Dungy said Bullitt will probably miss a few days, and he wasn't sure how long Wheeler would be out.

Indy has six players - Manning, Hagler, 2007 NFL defensive player of the year Bob Sanders, former league sacks champion Dwight Freeney, starting guard Ryan Lilja and rookie tight end Tom Santi - on the PUP list, meaning they're not yet eligible to practice.

Todays update so far...

Colts Training Camp 2008: More, more, GIMME MORE INFO! by BigBlueShoe on Jul 28, 2008 10:06 AM EDT in Training Camp

More rumors and observations continue to beam their way from Terre Haute to my desktop. Ah, the Internet! How I love you so. I'm still working on my depth chart. I wanted to get it done this weekend, but between organizing all the info I got from camp over the weekend, and dealing with the snappy little "bloggers" over at Fanhouse, I just didn't have time. I hope to have it done today. Thanks for your patience.

We still have no word on Quinn Pitcock. Dungy said there would be explanation today.

Adam Vinatieri was consistently making FGs of 50+ yards at camp. He looks healthy, his leg is strong, and (according to conditioning folks) he is in the best physical shape of his life. Adam might have finally shaken off the injuries.

Many said Dungy was not happy with Keiaho leveling Hart on Saturday. Keiaho was taken out of practice and told to cool it.

Clifton Dawson has looked better than Mike Hart.

With Brock moving back to DE, the Colts will likely employ a 3-4 player d-line rotation. This means Mathis or Brock start, with Brock moving inside on passing downs. Ed Johnson is the undertackle while Keyunta Dawson or (if he ever shows up) Quinn Pitcock are overtackles. Also thrown into the mix is speed rushing DE Marcus Howard. The Colts are also high on DT Eric Foster. Left out of the mix, it seems, are DEs Josh Thomas and Jeff Charleston.

LATEST UPDATE; iNDYSTAR.COM BLOG

July 28, 2008

Monday scribbles

Read Comments (0)

It may be time to ask for suggested headlines. Mine are getting weak. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't have plenty to write about. It's just that the subjects are all over the map, so we'll just stick with scribbles today.

Here's what crossed the pad this morning:

* The buzz about second-year DT Quinn Pitcock can't be ignored anymore, especially after bloggers e-mail me and ask what's up. Fact is, Pitcock isn't in camp. He did not report. Colts coach Tony Dungy didn't tell us anything new today. He just said it was a personal situation. I HATE (notice the capital letters) to get into rumors and mentioning unsubstantiated stuff off the Internet, but I'm the messenger on this and it could be true. There's a report out there that Pitcock has lost his desire to play. This would be a blow to the Colts, who appeared set with a strong four-man rotation at defensive tackle. As you know, I'm usually up on the Ohio State guys, so his absence comes as somewhat of a shock. Maybe it's pointless, but I hope to see the guy back with the team. He came across as a good guy. You can never have enough of those men in a locker room. But, of course, most will see this as Buckeye bias.

* Staying with that college, second-year WR Roy Hall had an outstanding catch today, the kind that would make highlight reels in the regular season. Pass was high, he was near the sideline, adjusted for position with the defender, leaped high and got it, then hit the Cook Stadium grass. It's plays like these that win jobs. By my count, the Colts are trying to settle on fourth and fifth receivers and he's probably one of the favorites, if there is such a thing at this early juncture.

* Kenton Keith dropped a couple balls today.

* There have been a ton of botched snaps from center. As my colleague Mike Chappell said, with Peyton Manning in camp, there were days at a time when the ball never hit the ground.

* Speaking of Manning, an assistant for an Indy radio show swore he saw No. 18 in another gym at the Rose-Hulman Sports & Recreation Center. I couldn't confirm the sighting and Dungy, when asked about it again, essentially said that was news to him.

* At the end of a practice field sat a fan wearing a white T-shirt with lots of autographs. One of them caught my eye. It was from Colts reserve safety Matt Giordano. Well, at least the No. 43 gave it away. And then Giordano added the Bible scripture "Phil 4:13," or Philippians 4:13, which loosely translated is "I can do all things through Christ."

* Jim Sorgi stepped up in a collapsing pocket and finally let go of a short dump-off pass. A disgruntled fan noticed. And he noticed that I noticed. "He would have been sacked 500 times," the guy hollered. "Make sure you write that." OK, I did.

* Gotta love the preparation in these practices. Receivers coach Clyde Christensen chewed up Canadian receiver Sam Giguere when the rookie from Quebec juggled a pass twice before pulling it in during a drill. "Catch the ball clean!" the coach shouted.

* Safety Antoine Bethea is like Bob Sanders sometimes. Even when they aren't supposed to hit, sometimes it can't be helped. Bethea popped a receiver this morning. And I didn't actually see it, I heard it and turned toward that area of the sideline just after it happened. Bethea got props for the shot.

* Decent crowds today in Terre Haute. One of my R-H buddies advised the count was 1,151 in the morning and 1,087 in the afternoon.

* Best line I overheard today was from backup running back Dominic Rhodes, who told my friends at Fox-TV, "Any time you come down I-70, you know what time it is."

last year's third round pick, Quinn Pitcock, hasn't shown up for camp. Supposedly he is retiring after one season in the NFL. :wacko:

Yeah, that's nice...I figured him to be part of a rotation this season and had him on my HFA dynasty IDP team...oh well now there will be room for someone else I guess. Too bad, I thought he could have been a pretty good DT.