[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

is this very democratic.....

dmarc117

Having lived in CA for many years, I can comfortably say there are a lot of people in that state that don't want to look out at the pacific and see oil rigs, mostly those living on the coast of course. She is just representing that part of her constituency with a vested interest. Since they say that a slim margin of Californians now support oil drilling, that unfortunately comes from the part of the populace that is getting hurt at the gas pumps while monied interests that make political contributions must tend towards no drilling.

so have a vote and vote no. dont block the whole thing.

With no empirical evidence that offshore drilling will lower gas prices, why are we voting on anything? You know, other than let politicians pander to voters' fiscal desperation at the cost of squandering national resources.

I feel just terrible about this. I know that when the Republicans had power, they never abused their power, and certainly not on the exact same issue yet in the opposite direction.

When Energy Committee Chairman Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) announced that he would not require the executives to give their testimony under oath, Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) asked for a vote on the issue. Stevens shot back: "There will be no vote . . . It's the decision of the chairman, and I have made that decision."

"I move that we swear in witnesses," Cantwell persisted.

"I second the motion," said Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.).

"That's the last we're going to hear about that, because it's out of order," a piqued Stevens replied. When the two women continued their protest, the chairman informed them that "I intend to be respectful of the position that these gentlemen hold."

I feel just terrible about this. I know that when the Republicans had power, they never abused their power, and certainly not on the exact same issue yet in the opposite direction.

The same Ted Stevens who was just indicted on charges of scheming to conceal gifts from an oil-services company. Nice.

Edited by yo mama