[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles notes

i_am_the_swammi

Eagles camp is in full-swing, and some interesting developments are in full swing. Known for its tough 2-a-days for the first two weeks of camp, there have been several minor injuries to various players (Chris Clemons dehydration, Assante Samuel hamstring tweak, DeShaun Jackson hamstring tweak), and some major one's that could impact the start of the season (Victor Abiamiri wrist dislocation).

That being said, here are some thoughts compiled from the first two weeks...some mine, some as have been reported in the local media:

1. The defense apepars to be significantly quicker than in prior years, with the subtraction of Spikes and Trotter from year's past at the LB spot, and the addition of Stewart Bradley at MLB. Omar Gaither and and Chris Gocong round out the LB spots. While young (all are 24) and somewhat inexperienced, all are above-average athletes with exceptional group speed. Gocong has apparently improved significantly in his pass coverage this past offseason, an area that needed to be addressed from his play last year. Bradley, who supplants Spikes as the starting MLB, will need to prove he is seasoned enough to handle the job full-time, though early reports (and his play from 2007) state that he has earned the opportunity.

2. As has been the case for many years, the Eagles secondary continues to be a strong suit, with this year's group perhaps one of the NFL's best. Assante Smauel has been hampered in recent sessions with his hamstring, but reports are the Eagles brass is being exceptionally cautious with their new high-priced investment. He'll likely skip this weekend's preseaosn opener, and will be back on the field late next week. While much has been made of what the Eagles will do with with disgruntled Sheppard, it appears that he will remain in the mix, as DC Jim Johnson has repeatedly stated that the Eagles will show nickle coverage for 50-60% of their defensive plays, thus requiring the services of all three Pro-Bowl CBs. Brian Dawkins and Quintin Mikell will start at the safety spots, with Mikell coming into camp in 2008 as a start at the postion for the 1st time in his career. The Eagles special-teams MVP in both 2005 & 2006, Mikell started 14 games last season due to injuries to both Dawkins and Considine, and led the Eagles with 98 tackles.

3. Defensive Line will continue to be the area the Eagles look to improve upon. Gone is underachieving Javon Kearse, who's time the Birds was marked by injuries and declining performance. Trent Cole returns as the anchor at LDE, and should continue to thrive as the best pure pass rusher on the roster. Pro-Bowler Mike Patterson and improving 1st-rounder Broderick Bunkley remain the interior starters, and newcomer Chris Clemons (8 sacks in a part-time role with Oakland last year) round out the starting foursome. The 6' 4" Abiamiri, assuming he can return healthy, should have a better understanding of JJ's complicated blitzing schemes. Darren Howard, Montae Reagor and Juqua Parker (former Juqua Thomas) also provide added depth, and rookies Bryan Smith (out for the first two weeks with a hamstring injury) and impressive 2nd-round pick Trevor Laws figure to round out the DL corps.

4. Donovan McNabb, by all accounts, returns healthier than he has in four seasons, and his preseason play and leadership have been lauded thus far. In recent 11-on-11 drille , he appears as mobile as any time in the last 5 years, eluding the rush and finding targets at all points on the field. While 2008 was a disappointment as a whole, it should be noted that McNabb spent the first part of the season continuing to recover from 2007 knee surgery, and many beleive he was rushed back into action once back-up Jeff Garcia was signed by Tampa, leaving the Eagles with few options at QB. Expect a bounce-back year from a healthy and motivated McNabb, who may likely be playing his final year in Philly and could be auditioning for his next team. Last year's 2nd-round draft pick Kevin Kolb has officially been named back-up, and AJ Feely returns as the 3rd-string QB.

5. Perhaps the greatest TC battle for a roster spot is at RB, though Brian Westbrook has little to worry about. After an All-Pro campaign in 2007, BW returns to his role in the Eagles offense as the most versitle weapon on the roster. Westbrook does, however, remain at odds with Eagles brass over his contract (which drastically underpays the overachiving RB), and is in the process of trying to have it reworked. While he reported to camp on time, there are rumblings that he may opt out of preseason games should the situation remain unresolved. Recent quotes by Ealges owner Jeffrey Lurie, however, echo positive sentiment that the issue is being addressed. Perhaps the most intriguing addition to the offense is 3rd-year RB Lorenzo Booker, a free agent signing from Miami. The Eagles had coveted Booker in the 2006 draft, andfinally got there man this offseason. reports on Booker have been outstanding, as the Eagles have used him thus far in multiple formations, utilizing his quick speed and pass-catching ability as a mini-Westbrook. Expect Booker to have a much more prominent role in the Eagles offense than anyone imagined when this signing took place...he'll likely spell Westbrook on many occasions (int he same way Buckhalter did last year), as well as line-up with BW in various formations to take advantage of match-ups. Tony Hunt, last year's RB draftee who generated so much pre-season optimism for his goal-line capabilities, may be the odd-man out, as Buckhalter also has looked stellar thus far.

6. Eagles fans have long wished for a stud WR, and though rumors had the team apparently making a push for both various options, their wishes were left unfulfileld. Returning starters Reggie Brown (4th year) and Kevin Curtis will continue to hold down the spots, and while many think the position was in need of dire upgrade, the Eagles brass continues to beleive that with this offensive-style, the teams does not need to spend the high $$$ on a big-name WR. It remains to be seen if this philosophy holds true, but the numbers bear out the Eagle's thinking. Reggie Brown has improved upon each of his first three seasons (a career high 61 receptions in 2007), and Kevin Curtis spent his 1st season in the west-coast offense catching 77 balls for 1100 yards. The Eagles were the only team in the NFL with three players over 60 receptions, which to them further proves the point that a versitile pass-catching RB can overcome the lack of a go-to WR. This year's 2nd-round draft pick, DeShaun Jackson, is finally beginning to get on the field with the offense after having been dinged with hamstring issues, and the speedy WR has left great impressions, hooking up with McNabb on a number of deep routes. While 1st-year WRs have typically been little-used by Reid in season's past, look for Jackson to see the field often, if only as a decoy to open-up the underneath routes for Curtis and Brown. Hank Baskett continues to have an outstanding camp (as he has had in each of this first two years), and remains a favorite to make the team ahead of Greg Lewis. McNabb and baskett worked out together in Arizona for a week prior to TC, and the two have developed a chemistry in goal-line situations that prior Eagle's teams have never uitilized: the corner fade. baskett has had several successful TDs in camp, beating the vaunted Eagle CBs one-on-one. Look for the this goal-line vulture play in the future from the Eagles, as it has been rarely used in the past.

7. LJ Smith also enters camp healthier than in recent seasons (groing in 2006, sports hernia in 2007). The sixth-year player was franchsied by the Eagles this offseason, and thus is year-to-year with the Eagles and playing for a long-term contract. From all indications, he appears healthy and able to resume what was once a promising career, having reported early in February for voluntary conditioning programs.. The Eagles missed having a big TE target in red zone situations in 2007, and thus finished the dead last in that category. The return of a healthy Smith should be a huge boost, as he tries to duplicated his 60-catch, 700 yard 2005 season. Brent Celek and Matt Schoebel are currently in a TC battle for the back-up spot, which won't likely be decided until well into the preseason.

8. ST: two major changes in the return game, as speedy rookie Jackson will now handle punt returns, and Booker appears to be the leading candidate to handle kickoffs. Both have impressed thus far, with Jackson confidentlty stating " he expects to get his Hester on". This area cost the Eagles two games last season on botched/fumbled kicks, and was a major area of need heading into 2008. Both appear to have been more than adequately addressed.

While 2007 was a mixed bag of success and failuires, many point to the second half of the season as the true barometer for this team (since Mcnabb was not healthy for much of the first half of the season). In that 2nd half, the Eagles went 6-2, with wins at Dallas and New Orleans (two teams in must-wim playoff mode), and losses only to New England (near-miss) and New York. With an easier on-paper schedule ahead, and a healtheir team all-around than in year's past, most expect a return to the playoffs, and a double-digit win season, is in the cards. Expect the Eagles to be firmly in the mix as the NFC East is decided late in 2008.

I think it's ashame that many people think that this is McNabb's last season in Philly. I'd like to see him stick around in Philly for another 2 years if he has a decent season and stays healthy this year. I guess ultimately McNabb will want a big contract for like 5 years if he makes it through the season healthy and a longer term, expensive contract probably wouldn't be prudent.

I think it's ashame that many people think that this is McNabb's last season in Philly. I'd like to see him stick around in Philly for another 2 years if he has a decent season and stays healthy this year. I guess ultimately McNabb will want a big contract for like 5 years if he makes it through the season healthy and a longer term, expensive contract probably wouldn't be prudent.

This is the healthiest he has been in years... we will see how he plays. I think if he does good this year he can squeeze an additional 2 years of good play.

I do too..while many in town dislike McNabb because of his preceived inability to win the big game, he has been a terrific Eagle, and perhaps the best QB this franchise has seen...period. I too would like to see him finish his career here, but as the packers are showing us, it is very difficult to keep all interested aligned forever.

if he has a 30 TD/4000 yard season this year, which based on the Philly pass-first offenseive scheme is acheivable, and the team advances a round of two into the playoffs, it will make for a very interesting offseason next year.

I don't think McNabb is going anywhere....

I've been overly optimistic about this team all off-season because of all the players that had a healthy off-season without surgery or rehab from a prior injury...

I love the additions of Booker and Jackson for the offense and special teams and I expect to see plenty of 2-RB sets with Booker and Westy...

and another thing that was left out was the OL battles.......or battle....Herremans vs Jean-Gilles.....I'm hoping Jean-Gilles beats him out so the OL can be considered "improved" from last season.....although the one mystery is Shawn Andrews as he really needs to get his head on straight for this OL to really dominate...

plus McNabb being healthy and having more time to work out with the wideouts in the off-season..

I do too..while many in town dislike McNabb because of his preceived inability to win the big game, he has been a terrific Eagle, and perhaps the best QB this franchise has seen...period. I too would like to see him finish his career here, but as the packers are showing us, it is very difficult to keep all interested aligned forever.

if he has a 30 TD/4000 yard season this year, which based on the Philly pass-first offenseive scheme is acheivable, and the team advances a round of two into the playoffs, it will make for a very interesting offseason next year.

next year we could be that "one big name WR" away from being the SB favorite....

but hopefully one of these players step up and make that not as much of a pressing need...