[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

VPN networks...questions

millerx

I have never used a VPN before, but my company has given me access. I installed the vpn client, and I am able to connect...but once I am connected, what am I suppose to do? All I know is that it says I am connected...for instance how can I view my desktop at work? Do I need the IP address or something? Then, open a IE page? Any guidance would be helpful.

Once your VPN is on-line, you should be able to access company apps like email, enterprise software and network drives just like you were in the office.

I don't know about viewing a desktop at work as my VPN is used for laptops only. I imagine an app like pc anywhere would allow you to bypass firewalls if your VPN is up and running. :wacko:

In the days before I had a laptop at work I had a desktop and I used to VPN to my desktop directly from my home PC. It was very nice as I could access all the stuff on my own machine. It has been a very long time since then ... but as I recall I had to open up a remote desk top to the computer name of my desktop at work. And of course the desktop had to be left up and running.

Even before I got my lap top though the company shut that ability down as they deemed to high risk.

Now I take my work lap top home ... launch the VPN ... and run all the apps on my lap top as if I was plugged in at work.

All VPN (virtual private networking) does is enable a secure connection between a PC and a corporate network. In order to make use of it, it's necessary to have the clients for client - server applications installed on the machine that the VPN is initiated from.

Alternatively, a remote desktop app like GoToMyPC can be used to open a remote session on the machine that is inside the corporate network and the client apps can be used from there. This allows the remote user to use the PC at work just as if they were at work. Sometimes there can be a slight delay but it works fine.

I don't know about viewing a desktop at work as my VPN is used for laptops only. I imagine an app like pc anywhere would allow you to bypass firewalls if your VPN is up and running. :wacko:

"Desktop" in this context means the Windows desktop, not desktop as a class of computer.

All VPN (virtual private networking) does is enable a secure connection between a PC and a corporate network. In order to make use of it, it's necessary to have the clients for client - server applications installed on the machine that the VPN is initiated from.

Alternatively, a remote desktop app like GoToMyPC can be used to open a remote session on the machine that is inside the corporate network and the client apps can be used from there. This allows the remote user to use the PC at work just as if they were at work. Sometimes there can be a slight delay but it works fine.

Thanks for the input. So I have to download the software applications from work onto my PC at home for functionality? Did I understand that correctly?

Thanks for the input. So I have to download the software applications from work onto my PC at home for functionality? Did I understand that correctly?

Yes. You'd also need to configure them properly too e.g. your locally installed email client would need to be configured to point to the right server.

I don't know where you work but most corporations would much prefer to provide you with a company laptop that you can use from home rather than risk their data being on a machine they don't own. That way they can set whatever restrictions they want on the laptop without harming your ability to work from home (something corporations are supporting more and more). If I were you, I'd ask about this. The security issues of people having company data on their home PCs are horrible.

Yes. You'd also need to configure them properly too e.g. your locally installed email client would need to be configured to point to the right server.

I don't know where you work but most corporations would much prefer to provide you with a company laptop that you can use from home rather than risk their data being on a machine they don't own. That way they can set whatever restrictions they want on the laptop without harming your ability to work from home (something corporations are supporting more and more). If I were you, I'd ask about this. The security issues of people having company data on their home PCs are horrible.

Thanks again. I will. Also, if I connect thru VPN, can I use Remote Desktop to access my PC if I have the Workstation Name or IP address?

Thanks again. I will. Also, if I connect thru VPN, can I use Remote Desktop to access my PC if I have the Workstation Name or IP address?

Yeah, you don't have to download any programs onto your PC if you use Remote Desktop. Just VPN in and once connected open your Remote Desktop and put in your Computer name, username, password, and domain. You of course have to leave your machine running at work and IIRC you have to go in somewhere in your work PC settings and allow remote connections. Once connected you are remotely working on your work PC. I telecommute pretty much once a week in this manner and it works really well. Only problem is printing as you can't print to your local printer at home when remoted in to your work PC. Actually I think you can, but I just don't know how.