[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Brees at #5 in keeper league?

Steelhead

I’m in a 12 team 2 keeper league. Scoring is in my signature. My keepers are Gore and Steve Smith. I draft 5th and trying to decide between QB or WR. QB scoring is higher than RB and WR through the top 20 in FF pts. There were 11 QBs in the top 20 in 2006 and 13 in 2007. Based on keepers the top 12 RBs are already gone and the top 6 WRs are gone too. Here’s the top 10 available at QB/RB/WR

QB

Brady

Brees

Palmer

Big Ben

McNabb

Hasselbeck

Delhomme

Bulger

Garrard

Kitna

RB

Jamal Lewis

Jacobs

Graham

McGahee

Stewart

T Jones

McFadden

J Jones

Turner

Rudi

WR

Fitzgerald

Roy Williams

TJH

Holt

Holmes

Burress

Ocho Cinco

Welker

Roddy White

Jennings

Brady will go #1 so most likely I will have Brees at my 5 spot based on what the other guys are probably gonna take. In my league top QBs have been outscoring all positions by a decent margin so I am seriously considering Brees. If not Brees then at WR at worst I can get the fourth best on the board (Holt) or best case second best (Roy or TJH). For RBs at best I am looking at third best with Graham or jumping the gun with Stewart. So I need to figure out whether grabbing a tier 1 QB in Brees is better than grabbing Holt to go alongside Steve Smith or Graham

trust me in this league i've never drafted a QB earlier than the 4th rd, which is the 6th rd in a redraft league. I am having a hard time justifying taking Brees in the first and would rather not. However in this league top tier QB tend to dominate in scoring over the the other positions. In 2007 LT was the top RB and he was 7th in scoring. in the top 11 only 2 were not QBs (Moss and LT). 2006 was similar. I have a chance to get a top scoring QB in Brees, where if I'm lucky to get Jacobs or Graham as the 14th best RB. LAG scoring from 14th on is pretty flat, where the top 3 QB average over 5 pts more per game than 4-10 best QB.

Again I'm playing devils advocate as I'd rather not draft a QB that high. My backup plan is to snag Delhomme late 4th-5th rd and score "double pts" with Steve Smith.

I'd put 'em in this order more or less, and I've left Jamal Lewis out because of his age.

Jacobs, Graham, Fitz, Williams, Housh, McGahee. Any of those left I take 'em before Brees in a keeper.

I don't know, I might take Jacobs or Fitz, possibly TJ ahead of Brees but not absolutely. As for Williams and McGahee, I would certainly take Brees ahead of them.

The thing with Graham is that he's just falling to far to let yourself get chained to where, say DMD, has him ranked. I've done several 10 team redraft mocks and dude is routinely there late enough to suggest that he'd be there for you in the 2nd round of a 12 team, 2 player keeper league. Brees, on the other hand, is never making it past pick 25-30.

Jacobs, Fitz, and likely TJ will not last to your 2nd pick but I just happen to think that Brees has got crazy weapons and is worth picking ahead of those 3 if you were so inclined.

Certainly arguments could be made for going the other way, but this is def not a slam dunk by any stretch.

Edited by detlef

I'm never answering another one of your threads again.

Dude, it's your team, make the call. You asked for suggestions and got some good insight. What the hell else do you want?

There's only so much insight that you're going to glean from these things. At some point, you need to decide for yourself.

I'm never answering another one of your threads again.

Dude, it's your team, make the call. You asked for suggestions and got some good insight. What the hell else do you want?

There's only so much insight that you're going to glean from these things. At some point, you need to decide for yourself.

and I will make the call. Is it that bad to ask for a couple more opinions? My bad, I thought that's what this forum was about.

I'm totally choked up that you'll never answer one of my threads again. I post like maybe 10 questions all year. Get over yourself.

and I will make the call. Is it that bad to ask for a couple more opinions? My bad, I thought that's what this forum was about.

I'm totally choked up that you'll never answer one of my threads again. I post like maybe 10 questions all year. Get over yourself.

OK, I'll bite. First off, touche. I'll admit that I was coming off rather self-important "threatening" not to grace your threads with my thoughts.

None the less, 118 different people looked at your thread. Some of the huddles most prolific advice givers even weighed in. In short, valid and well thought sides of the argument were presented. That, btw, is what I think this forum is about. People hipping you to what you might not have thought of.

Would you feel better if a bunch of people said +1?

Don't get me wrong, once the season starts, it's pretty easy to get your thread buried before anyone gets a chance to see it. I understand the bump. But 3 times?

It's pretty easy to see this as, "Thanks for the help but I really have no idea what I'm doing. Would somebody or 10 please tell me exactly what to do?"

Edited by detlef

OK, I'll bite. First off, touche. I'll admit that I was coming off rather self-important "threatening" not to grace your threads with my thoughts.

None the less, 118 different people looked at your thread. Some of the huddles most prolific advice givers even weighed in. In short, valid and well thought sides of the argument were presented. That, btw, is what I think this forum is about. People hipping you to what you might not have thought of.

Would you feel better if a bunch of people said +1?

Don't get me wrong, once the season starts, it's pretty easy to get your thread buried before anyone gets a chance to see it. I understand the bump. But 3 times?

It's pretty easy to see this as, "Thanks for the help but I really have no idea what I'm doing. Would somebody or 10 please tell me exactly what to do?"

Sure, I see your point too. There's only 3-4 people in this forum the last week or so, so yeah I've probably been a bit jumpy. Anyway I've mocked things out a couple different ways and now I'm set with my own decision.