[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any Huddlers in a marriage where religion rules?

Cyclones

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is always more to the story that I can possibly know, so take the following for what it's worth...

My first concern after reading your initial post is that you want to leave the religion because you want to be able have a beer or glass of wine on occasion. That's perfectly fine, but I don't know the level of usage you had during your "six years or drinking, drugs, and sex." If you were a problem drinker/partier or worse, I would make sure to examine real closely your reasons for wanting the freedom to drink some alcohol now. After a bit of further soul searching, if you decide it really is about not wanting to going through the motions on the religion and not about returning to some bad habits, then you must think about your next move.

My thought about this situation is that you hope that your wife loves you for you and not your religion, but as many know, God is a hard dude to compete with for those who are extrememly faithful. It may not be my way, but I have to try and understand that attitude. I'm guessing that for your wife, her religion is a way of life-- values, culture, family, etc. To have a husband who wants to break from that, regardless of his acceptance of her religious practices, may feel like an assult on who she is at the core of her existance.

Maybe your wife will be accepting and maybe things have changed assuming you are a good husband and good father, but you obviously cannot expect this to go perfectly smoothly. Talk with her openly and honestly about it. Make sure you hear her out and revisit what may be a volitile conversation first time around. After the first talk, assuming it's not world war III (which you have a large part in making sure it doesn't go there), go back to her in another day and see how she feels once it's all sunk in for her.

Quite obviously this will not be easy, but if it's eating you up inside enough to come here and talk about this, it may be one of those things in life that you need to do no matter how hard it may be and how difficult the consequnces could be.

And as others have said, have a marriage counselor at the ready if need be.

Edited by TDFFFreak