[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

free agency predictions

Guest Azazello13

Guest Azazello13

cujo and chelios - my guess is that the rangers will throw big offers at both cujo and chelios, forcing the wings to either pony up big-time or back off one or the other. and in that scenario, i think they back off on cujo and re-sign chelios. cujo to the rangers, chelios re-ups with the wings.

guerin - have a STRONG feeling he's going to the stars. slap him right on modano's right wing, he's almost a perfect fit there; much better than any scenario with the wings (who already have shanahan) or the rangers (who have bure). then either have arnott center the second line, or put him on the right wing there with turgeon centering and morrow on the left. with this signing the stars could be pretty darn good next year if their aging, slowing blueline holds up.

amonte - have an equally strong feeling he's going to the islanders. milbury apparently pushed hard for him before the trading deadline, but the hawks didn't want to look like they were tanking it going into the playoffs.

selanne - he's gonna re-sign with the sharks.

holik - really have no idea where he'll end up. he'd be a great fit for the rangers, but they might have higher priorities. i don't think the devils will step to the plate with a legit offer. i'll guess toronto.

kasparaitis - he may re-sign with the avs, he may end up with the isles. i'm thinking lacroix will go ahead and pay the guy, and he'll stay in colorado and continue to grow as a player.

richter - toronto is the guess here. if they can replace cujo with richter (not a big drop-off, really) and save enough dough in the process to go hard after a guy like holik, they'll look pretty good for next year.

belfour - detroit, baby! lol

dafoe - he could be the guy left without a seat in the musical goalies game. boston clearly doesn't want him, since they just traded for shields. if the price gets low enough, some teams that aren't usually players in the free agency game might step into the fray. canucks or blackhawks, maybe?

Azazello13:

cujo and chelios - my guess is that the rangers will throw big offers at both cujo and chelios, forcing the wings to either pony up big-time or back off one or the other.  and in that scenario, i think they back off on cujo and re-sign chelios.  cujo to the rangers, chelios re-ups with the wings.

guerin - have a STRONG feeling he's going to the stars.  slap him right on modano's right wing, he's almost a perfect fit there; much better than any scenario with the wings (who already have shanahan) or the rangers (who have bure).  then either have arnott center the second line, or put him on the right wing there with turgeon centering and morrow on the left.  with this signing the stars could be pretty darn good next year if their aging, slowing blueline holds up.

amonte - have an equally strong feeling he's going to the islanders.  milbury apparently pushed hard for him before the trading deadline, but the hawks didn't want to look like they were tanking it going into the playoffs.

selanne - he's gonna re-sign with the sharks.

holik - really have no idea where he'll end up.  he'd be a great fit for the rangers, but they might have higher priorities.  i don't think the devils will step to the plate with a legit offer.  i'll guess toronto.

kasparaitis - he may re-sign with the avs, he may end up with the isles.  i'm thinking lacroix will go ahead and pay the guy, and he'll stay in colorado and continue to grow as a player.

richter - toronto is the guess here.  if they can replace cujo with richter (not a big drop-off, really) and save enough dough in the process to go hard after a guy like holik, they'll look pretty good for next year.

belfour - detroit, baby! lol 

dafoe - he could be the guy left without a seat in the musical goalies game.  boston clearly doesn't want him, since they just traded for shields.  if the price gets low enough, some teams that aren't usually players in the free agency game might step into the fray.  canucks or blackhawks, maybe?

good post. here are my educated guesses.

1. cujo. i think he'll end up in New York, but i'd like to see the Wings raise the ante to the point it hurts the Blue Shirts ability to sign any other free agents.

2. Chelly will sign with the wings for ~$7mm per year. He has at least another two good years, presuming he isn't hurt like he was in 00-01 season. He is extremely important to the Wings. a real warrior and a great inspiration to the up-and-comings. Remember. The Wings are all about mixing leadership and character with youth.

3. larionov. I think he will come back one more time, but that's what I thought about the Dominator. he might retire. i really don't know. I do know the Wings are a better team with him and he mentors Datsyuk.

4. i understand where you're coming from with Guerin and the Stars, but don't think Guerin would want to go there. The Stars really blew it with their FA signings last year and now find themselves with a lame duck belfour, a good-but-young goalie in U of M's Turco, and a journeyman in Tugnutt. They're rebuilding and their D sux. They tossed in the cards when they let Hitchcock go. I think Guerin will end up in either Detroit or St. Louis, and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Sharks make a run for him. in short? who the hell knows. he is an extremely important and valuable FA.

5. I agree Amonte might end up in NY, but it's 60% Islanders and 40% back to the Rangers where he started his career. He doesn't fit well with the Blue Shirts, but look what they've done so far. he would be a great fit in LA too.

6. Sharks will sign Teemu. he has kissed and made up with Sutter. will go for less than he has been earning, but should remain a shark.

7. holik. the wings will get him if they don't take Guerin. otherwise, who knows? i think he stays in the East.

8. the Avs will sign Kasper the overrated ghost. they're famous for trading for "soon to be free agents" and then signing them. then their fans act as if they were not free agents lol

9. Ricther to the Blues. it's bound to happen. Toronto is not a bad guess

10. Belfour. i hope he signs in he!! i can't stand this Ahole. anything but the Wings, PLAEZZE

11. i don't know about DaFoe. i figured when Shields went to Boston and Tugnutt to the Stars then this guy would end up in Columbus or something. To me he is a non-entity.

Things to think about, that is for sure.

I would love to see the Wings get back Cheli, pick up Holik, and sign just about any goalie but Psycho Eddie. Does anyone remember the old ESPN commercials where they had him working in a fastfood joint. Classic.

Guest Azazello13

robert lang to the caps.

lang was one of the guys i didn't think much about when i made this post, but he's a pretty d@mn good two-way player and i think it's a real solid move by the caps. with all the attention on holik as the big two-way czech center on the market, a lot of people forgot about lang. basically he comes in as a replacement for oates, and at oates' age i think that's an upgrade.

if everybody on the caps gets healthy, if kolzig can get his sh*t back together, and if the team can start playing a little defense, look out for the caps in the eastern conference next year.

Guest Azazello13

holik to the rangers. 5 years, 45 million. eek!

i love bobby holik, and i'm REAL glad he's staying in the eastern conference. but 9 million a year for a guy who's never scored 30 goals, or had more than 65 points? a guy who's been a second or third line center his whole career? but i guess when you're the rangers, money is no object. and with that in mind, this is a pretty d@mn good signing for them.

i'm not surprised by this, but am disappointed the Wings didn't make a run for him. Guerin maybe? Holik's aggressive style of play fits well in the east. this was a helluva signing by the Rangers. Overpaid? perhaps, but time will tell. he could be on the verge of some real good seasons w/ NYR

Glad to see the Canes kept both Hedican and Ronnie Francis. I am interested in who you guys think would be a good fit for them to help them improve their firepower on offense to hopefully try and make another good run in the playoffs next year.

I think they are just one or two goal scorers away from being a more dangerous team next year. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Guest Azazello13
PSULions:

Well, the first Goalie domino falls with CuJo trying to get his name on the Cup and replacing the Dominator with the Red Wings.

as a wing hater, i'm actually not too displeased with this turn of events.

a) haven't seen anything about terms yet, but i'm sure they'll be paying cujo a pretty penny. even more, perhaps, than they were paying hasek. this should hinder them from being able to buy more top players.

:D the whole belfour/wings thing was getting me a little worried. yeah, the guy is psycho, and he might even be washed up. but he's a stone-cold avalanche killer. i think his hatred of patrick roy brings out the absolute best in his game. the idea of belfour self-imploding as a wing was precious...the idea of facing them in a 7 game series with eddie in net was kinda scary.

c) cujo's playoff performances have always been up and down. he's also been injury prone. he's an excellent goalie, but he's a step down from hasek.

d) at least the mf'ers couldn't buy holik, and i doubt very seriously that they'll land guerin. the thought of holik as a wing would have given me nightmares.

PSULions:

I think they are just one or two goal scorers away from being a more dangerous team next year.  Would love to hear your thoughts.

keeping hedican and francis was important, but i don't think your boys have the glitter to attract top free agents. for example, i thought adam oates (an old team mate of mine, by the way) would be a good fit in Carolina... he would offer a passing and offensive flair/dimension not seen in 'caneland... he goes to the ducks? the cane will have to rely on continuing development of cole and battaglia, to mention a few. i'll be surprised if they make it back to the finals next year... really surprised. thumbs_d

Guest Azazello13

guerin to the stars for 5 years.

that's going to be a very interesting team to watch next year. talk about a line that has it all -- size, speed, skating ability, hands around the net, great shots, good two-way ability -- modano, guerin and probably lehtinen instantly becomes one of the best lines in hockey.