[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For Jazz people.

skylive5

Right now I am listening to A Love Supreme. Just finished with A Night In Tunisia.

Bird or Trane.... which do you consider the best?

Both had decades they were the man. Both where hugh influences in the jazz world of the sax.

Or would you prefer Getz, Mulligan, or Desmond.

Me...

Bird

Trane

Mulligan

Right now I am listening to A Love Supreme. Just finished with A Night In Tunisia.

Bird or Trane.... which do you consider the best?

Both had decades they were the man. Both where hugh influences in the jazz world of the sax.

Or would you prefer Getz, Mulligan, or Desmond.

Me...

Bird

Trane

Mulligan

Ornette Coleman?

While definitely an influence of the 50's and 60's... he might be just a tiny bit to far out there. In fact... he is too far out there. LOL

A real good choice that belongs in the top group for sure though.

plenty of people feel that way. but to my ears, trane is almost more "out" than most of ornette's music. ornette may be harmonically more "free" in general, but everything is very blues-based and melodic.

personal preference....coltrane. bird is probably slightly more important historically. my personaly faves on sax probably go in pretty much this order...

coltrane

sonny rollins

roland kirk

ornette coleman

wayne shorter

lester young

charlie parker

eric dolphy

henry threadgill

archie shepp

Really like Rollins and Shorter and Young is okay too.

Coleman and his buddies just seem to be disorganized to my ear. Not sure why that is. Guess it's 'cause I grew up on Bird and Trane and was a late comer to Coleman. I pulled out some of his stuff...like A Love Supreme... still sounds disorganized to me... LOL But then, you have a point on Trane...he isn't all that organized either. It almost appears that Coleman, Trane, and Bird have never met the people they are playing with.... just kinda pulled them off the street, gave them an instrument, and played. Great stuff! Great jazz!

If you get a chance to listen to Sermon on the Mount (live Brubeck album from Berlin) you will see why I love Mulligan so much. Guy hits the heart hard.

Scott Joplin.

But I actually like the stuff from the 70s. That stuff rocked.

As much as I like it... I have never considered Ragtime as jazz.

And we are talking sax players.... so who from the 70's was better than Trane, Bird, Getz, Mulligan, or Coleman?

I think that was some attempt at a joke FYI.

I take my music pretty seriously... so wasn't sure where he was coming from. :wacko:

Anyway IMO Parker, Coltrane, and Getz are pretty much neck n neck, then the rest.

Kirk and Dolphy are probably 2 of the more underrated by most.

I could go with that.

Im a coltrane fan, My Favorite Things, Interstellar Space...great stuff

But i love the horns...Maynard Ferguson, Arturo Sandoval, and Dizzy Gillespie put down some great stuff. These three are flat out sick,

5:30 into that is amazing