[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

High School Phenom to be on cover of SI

myhousekey

• 2 weeks later...

I live about 30 miles from Akron and I have seen Lebron James play about 8 or 9 times over the last 3 years.He is the best high school basketball player that I have ever seen!!And I have have seen a lot of them.

My friends and I are high school basketball junkies and make a lot of national touraments all over the midwest and east coast.We have seen KG,Kobe,Tmac,and many,many others play over the years(even saw Cleveland Browns QB Tim Couch play in an tourny down in C-Bus one year,he scored 69pts.,he had a couple 3's and a couple dunks!).

But back to Lebron,this kid is for real!!There is nothing that this kid can't do.He is 6'7" and about 220lbs.,he handles and passes like a point guard,bangs inside,has 3point range,and has a 40" vertical jump!He is averaging something like 29pts.,11rbs.,8.5ast.a game(and about 4 dunks)and he is a defensive machine hounding point guards,getting steals,and blocking his fair share of shot attempts.All while his team plays a schedule of national powers(Oak Hill Acadamy,STL Vashon,Detroit Redford,Amittyville NY,Geogre Jr. Republic Pa,St.Bernards NJ,Louisville Male,and a host of others).And plays his best against the best.

Against Oak Hill Acadamy,winner of the last 3 USA Today high school basketball polls,last year as a sophomore he scored 33pts. and had 11rbs. in a 87-86 setback,and this year vs. Oak Hill(always on the schedule)he had 37pts. and 15rbs.in a 72-66 setback while playing against a team that has 8 D1 college recruits on it(2 that might decide to go straight to the NBA)!!He also held Jimmy McKinney of St.Louis Vashon,who is going to Missouri to 9 pts. in a game this season,he was/is averaging around 28 for the season.I'm telling you,Lebron is a off the hook!!About a week and a half ago over at the Canton feild house(the building right next to the Pro Football Hall Of Fame)his team played a game and Shaq stopped by to vistit Lebron!He was in town to play the Cleveland Cavs the next night and decided to stop and see Lebron play for himself.I was at that game and when Shaq came into the gym right after halftime,the coach for the team Akron St.Vincient-St.Mary was playing against had to call a time out because everyone in the place,including his own players on the court were watching Shaq!

Lebron's team already has had to move all of their home games to the University of Akron because of the demand for tickets is so great.There is even talk about about having to move his high school basketball regional games to the 21,000 seat Gund Area(home of the Cleveland Cavs)because of ticket requests.

He also had a spot done about him on ESPN Sportcenter a couple of days ago(at 50 past the hour,and ran for about 6-7 mins)about him being the best high school BB player in the country and the next MJ.

Oh,and then there is this.He is a 1st team all-Ohio WR in football.He averages something like 21 yards a catch,and if not for his basketball skills would be going to play football at Ohio State on a full athletic scholarship.

Keep your copy of him on the cover of SI.He may not be the next MJ(but who could be?!?),but he IS the next Kobe.

Here is a link to an Ohio high school sports forum for those who would like more info or opinions about Lebron James from people who have seen him play the most.Click on seach near the top right hand side of the page and then type in either James,Lebron,or ASVSM for matches(I'd go with just James).And set the default to "any date" for the most matches about James.

(I know you guys aren't stupid,just trying to help a little,sorry)

http://www.jjhuddle.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?a ction=topics&forum=Boys+Basketball&number=2&DaysPrune=20&SUBMIT=Go://http://www.jjhuddle.com/cgi-bin/ubb...ne=20&SUBMIT=Go://http://www.jjhuddle.com/cgi-bin/ubb...ne=20&SUBMIT=Go://http://www.jjhuddle.com/cgi-bin/ubb...ne=20&SUBMIT=Go

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: up the middle ]

And Lebron's school(Akron St.Vincient-St.Mary) has another player on both the football and basketball teams that we might hear of before much longer.But this kid will make his noise on the football field(hopefully at Ohio State)and not the basketball court.

http://www.bucknuts.com/prospects03/DT/siancotton.htm

I have no F*ck*ng idea if anybody is even reading/looking at these posts(after all this is a fantasy football site for cryin' out loud!),or if they even give a sh*t,but since I am the offical pimp of Lebron James here is yet another article about "The Chosen One" (per SI).This from the C-Bus Dispatch about how this kid(17 year old high school junior)is treated like a king already(his nickname is "King James").

It's good out of season(football)reading "IF" you like hoops at all.

http://www.dispatch.com/prep/prep-story.ph...02/1137100.html

Originally posted by Chief Dick:

So I guess you like to stalk high school boys BB players? biggrin.gif

High school basketball is hoops at it's purest form,unlike pro and big-time college ball which is ran by cold hard $$$$.Unfotunately it looks like this high school kid(Lebron)has become the object of $$$$ grubbin' hounds before he even has become a senior in high school,which to me is very sad.

As for me stalking BB players,I went to school with one of the assistant coaches at Akron St.Vincient-St.Mary(as well as having seen them play a number of times),so I have had an inside opinion/point of view on all the hoopla surrounding Mr.Lebron James and thought that I would share a little insight/info about the next NBA superstar for those that give a rat's a$$ about such things.I am NOT a pur or anything(but good looking out Dear Abby).Just a HSBB fan with some free time.

On the contrary, high school ball is not any better than college or pro. You hear stories all the time about dollars infiltrating high school athletics. The Rush brothers here in KC come to mind. You'd have to be naive to think that athletics at that level are still "pure". The only "pure" sports left are those in non-revenue producing sports.

High school ball does not have TV contracts worth billions of $$$$.crappy shoes from spammers and addias my sponcer high school teams,but they do not have licensing rights and sell millions of $$$$ worth of apparel every year.Most schools still have to have fund raisers and 50/50 drawings to raise money for uniforms,and the players still have to buy their own sneakers.For every Lebron James there is 10,000 Jason Smiths or Earl Holmes in high school ball.And for every Akron St.Vincient-St.Mary or Oak Hill Academy there is 10,000 schools that need funds above and beyond what they get at the gate in ticket sales(see pay to play in some schools)to operate their teams effectively.

Big $$$$ in high school basketball is the exception,not the rule.

I have yet to see the kid play. I have relatives in Akron who first told me about him but have yet to see him first hand. One question I keep pondering on him is this, Do you think he needs to lose a little weight? Just looking at the fast athletic players of the NBA, most his size are about 10 pounds lighter. Just curious what anyone else thinks. At 6'7" 220, he reminds me of Vince Carter size, whereas a guy like Kobe is about 210.

Originally posted by myhousekey:

I have yet to see the kid play. I have relatives in Akron who first told me about him but have yet to see him first hand. One question I keep pondering on him is this, Do you think he needs to lose a little weight? Just looking at the fast athletic players of the NBA, most his size are about 10 pounds lighter. Just curious what anyone else thinks. At 6'7" 220, he reminds me of Vince Carter size, whereas a guy like Kobe is about 210.

I think he carries the 220-225lbs. very well and needs not to drop a single lb. as it does not appear to effect his quickness,speed,or jumping(40" vertical)IMO.He uses the extra weight to bang down on the blocks and crash the glass.The extra 20 or so lbs. of muscle also helps him on the football field where he is an all-Ohio WR.

MJ,Tmac,Vince,Dr.J,Magic,An.Walker,and some other NBA players around Lebron's size all did/do carry 220+.Besides before he's done growing Lebron might be around 6'9".

Originally posted by myhousekey:

I guess you may be right. I never stopped to think the kid might not be done growing. Wooster, Ohio? My dad went to school at Wooster.(family grew up in Akron) The college still exists I assume?

The college still stands my friend(I live 3 blocks south of it)and is growing both in size and in enrollment.

http://www.wooster.edu/

And as a side note:The College of Wooster Fighting Scots are year in and year out one of the better Div.III college basketball teams in the country(always ranked in the top 10),and the football and baseball teams have cracked the Div.III rankings in recent years as well.

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: up the middle ]

Well LeBron James ended his season on a sour note(SI jinx?)his team Akron St.Vincent-St.Mary lost their chance at 3 straight Ohio state titles as they got beat in the D2 title game by Cincinnati Roger Bacon.But he still has one more year of high school ball before he goes and gets his millions in te NBA(as the #1 pick).He did win his second straight Ohio Mr.Basketball award,was named to the 1st team parade all-american team,and parade player of the year,and is expected to be named 1st team all-USA(2nd straight year)by USA Today,as well as USA Today player of the year.

Not too bad for a 17 year old high school junior.

As a side note,high school hoops in Ohio was/is at a very high level.4 of the top 10 teams in the Midwest from this past season per USA Today are from Ohio.

Midwest

1. Vashon, St. Louis (30-1)

(their lone loss was to LeBron and St.V)

2. Lexington (Ky.) Catholic (33-2)

3.** Brookhaven, Columbus, Ohio (27-1)

(#12 in the country.their lone loss was in city series play)

4. Vincent, Milwaukee (23-1)

(Lebron and St.V beat them the year before)

5. Northern, Pontiac, Mich. (23-4)

6. Westinghouse, Chicago (30-5)

7. **St. Vincent-St. Mary, Akron, Ohio (23-4)

(LeBron's team)

8. **Roger Bacon, Cincinnati (25-3)

(beat LeBron and St.V for the state title,even though St.V beat them during the regular season)

9. West Side, Gary, Ind. (23-4)

10. **St. John's Jesuit, Toledo, Ohio (25-1)

(their lone loss was to Lakewood St.Ed's-Ohio)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/baske...tba/regionm.htm