[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gotta say

detlef

Apparently McCain admitting that going into Iraq in the first place was a bad idea would be the same as Obama admitting he was wrong for voting against the troop surge.

What concerned me far more than anything else is that neither of them had any grasp, comprehension, or explanation about the current financial crisis and what needs to be done and how this affects everyone. It was merely political mumbo jumbo. I want their take on exactly what they think should happen, not just sitting back and waiting for things to spiral out of control so that they can say "hey that wasn't my idea." Tax cuts for the middle class and earmarks won't mean poopye if things get too messy.

With only a few months left until the general election neither of them is going to be willing to tie their own noose. What it mean is, if either of them comes out with a bold statement (the likes of which you are suggesting) and it turns out wrong, well...you get my point. Nope. from here on out neither one is going to be swinging for the fences with something that could be that costly. They will be content to just follow traditional political strategy, lay down the bunt and advance the runner.

Wait a second, I don't even like baseball and yet here I use all the metaphors. Let see...

Why go for it on forth and long with little time on the clock, when you can play it safe and kick the field goal to tie. Then, you at least are giving yourself a chance to pull it out in overtime.

There, much better.

Edited by millerx

What concerned me far more than anything else is that neither of them had any grasp, comprehension, or explanation about the current financial crisis and what needs to be done and how this affects everyone. It was merely political mumbo jumbo. I want their take on exactly what they think should happen, not just sitting back and waiting for things to spiral out of control so that they can say "hey that wasn't my idea." Tax cuts for the middle class and earmarks won't mean poopye if things get too messy.

See, the problem with this line of thinking is that the economy is its OWN beast...even "experts" in the economy generally just sit back, look at what happened, and say "huh. I think that happened because of this."

The best a president can do is not f*ck up a good economy. For all of the praise FDR gets, all he really did was make people feel better and retard the economic recovery.*

* - evidence indicates that some of his programs may have prolonged effects of the Depression.

Why go for it on forth and long with little time on the clock, when you can play it safe and kick the field goal to tie. Then, you at least are giving yourself a chance to pull it out in overtime.

There, much better.

When it's 3rd and long in the bottom of the 9th, sometimes you've gotta swing for the fences with a slap-shot from half-court, son. :wacko: Edited by Chavez

But, it didn't annoy you that Obama called McCain "John", while McCain referred to Obama as Senator?

No, that's actually one of the things I like about Obama - he has a more open communication style. I don't fault McCain for not returning this sentiment - it is well know that he doesn't like Obama personally.

Apparently McCain admitting that going into Iraq in the first place was a bad idea would be the same as Obama admitting he was wrong for voting against the troop surge.

I would imagine that had more to do with the fact that a decent breakdown of either of their plans to deal with this wouldn't fit into the time allowed for the debate. I don't ever recall seeing anyone go into much detail about anything in one of these. You just need to cover too much ground in too little time while explaining it to people who likely have no idea how any of this works.