[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I :heart: Ron Paul

jetsfan

I do not think you will find many agreeing with going back to the gold standard.

HOWEVER, Ron Paul does promote minimalist govt., reigning in the abusive power of the federal judiciary system, and individual rights. He has brought forward legislation on all those topics this year.

I have a reasonable libertarian bent when it comes to individual rights and the government having too much power. But I don't share the libertarian view that economies always perform the best without any government interference. My position is that markets should be the default and that the government shouldn't mess around in them unless something is going wrong, but I am not of the position that all government interference is bad.

As for me ranting about Ron Paul's stance on the gold standard, it seems to me that this is a cornerstone position of his economic philosophy.

Edited by wiegie

Too bad he is a loony kook.

It's funny how both parties won't pass a bill until it gets loaded down with more and more pork spending and Ron Paul is the loony kook.

Keep printing dollars like it's candy, shipping it off to the same idiots that got us into this mess and running up a deficit that we can never repay and see where that eventually takes you.

Common sense is dead in the Government. Oh well, this country deserves exactly what it gets with "leadership" from the Republicans and Democrats.

To be honest, I'm sort of sick of talking about it. Last week I had a five-page thread on this stuff in which I answered questions about the crisis at some length (the thread has subsequently been deleted) and I have also posted quite a bit in the bailout thread--so I'm not sure why you think I am tiptoeing around anything.

Additionally, I think it was pretty clear what I was saying when I implied that the policies that Ron Paul advocates seem to pretty much be the policies that that were followed from 1929-1932. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, Ron Paul's key idea that eliminating the Fed and going back on the gold standard would fix our problems or prevent financial crisis from happening is just plain wrong (as the panics of 1819, 1837, 1857, 1873, 1893, & 1907 clearly indicate).

Finally, I am currently working on other research that I have to get sent in to a journal soon, so when I spend time typing stuff up here it takes away from my time to do other work (while at the same time, feeling a lot like work).

Sorry wiegie, I didn't mean to grill ya. I didn't deleve too deeply into you questions thread, I was kinda waiting for it to wind down before I did and by then it was gone. I see what your point was in this thread now.

Peace bro. :wacko: