[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Contractors

Duchess Jack

2. Attic insulation is more effective than new windows.

From my basic understanding this is probably true for you and me. My house is 35 yo and has the amount of insulation required by code at the time. It is about half the thickness of the current code. I would imagine yours is in a similar state. Blown-in is cheaper than a whole house of new windows, and you'll start making your money back very quickly. If I figured it out right, we're expecting about a $50 savings per month on a $250-$300 average bill, which will take about 2.5-3 years to pay us back.

From my basic understanding this is probably true for you and me. My house is 35 yo and has the amount of insulation required by code at the time. It is about half the thickness of the current code. I would imagine yours is in a similar state. Blown-in is cheaper than a whole house of new windows, and you'll start making your money back very quickly. If I figured it out right, we're expecting about a $50 savings per month on a $250-$300 average bill, which will take about 2.5-3 years to pay us back.

did you figure the cost doing it yourself or hiring a contractor?

did you figure the cost doing it yourself or hiring a contractor?

Based on a "ballpark" phone estimate in the Spring from a local contractor for ~1200 sq ft attic X 10" blown-in = $1500. Base on some Angie's List research, that sounded a bit high, but I was just looking to get an idea of things at the time. I'll get my three real quotes before deciding on a contractor however. I guess you have to be careful with these guys as some don't take good care and end up covering your soffit vents.

I've read articles where the savings for extra attic insulation is up to a third. I took a sixth (50/300). $1500 / $50 per month = 30 months = 2.5 years. I'm hoping that is conservative.

Based on a "ballpark" phone estimate in the Spring from a local contractor for ~1200 sq ft attic X 10" blown-in = $1500. Base on some Angie's List research, that sounded a bit high, but I was just looking to get an idea of things at the time. I'll get my three real quotes before deciding on a contractor however. I guess you have to be careful with these guys as some don't take good care and end up covering your soffit vents.

I've read articles where the savings for extra attic insulation is up to a third. I took a sixth (50/300). $1500 / $50 per month = 30 months = 2.5 years. I'm hoping that is conservative.

Usually Lowes and HD let yo use their blower if you buy a certain amount of insulation. Its easy to do.