[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer guys

MrTed46

I just jumped on the wireless - n bandwagon. I am getting speeds of 2.10 MB/sec

I thought I was suppose to get more from -n. Am I? or is 2.10 MB/sec good?

I do not remember what I was getting with my -g connection.

(This is speed from computer to computer, I am aware that I will not get internet speeds of this)

54Mbps is pretty much the limit of cable BB and a G connection. Until you get a connection faster than that, not likely in the near future, an N might get you more distance and a little faster data transfer across YOUR network, but that's about it. Not worth the price, IMHO.

ETA:

I'm getting 1.7Mbps across my BB connection. Not sure about the speed on my PC to PC. Not even sure how to check that. :wacko:

Edited by rocknrobn26

MB = Mega bytes

Mbps = Mega BITS per second

Network connection are typically measured in in Megabits per second. On my N wireless at home I get 144 Mbps on my connections which is about max. You can figure 54 Mbps is about max on a G network. 11.0 Mbps is max on a B network.

Edited to add, RR is right in that your Internet connection won't be faster than a G router.

Edited by Kid Cid

MB = Mega bytes

Mbps = Mega BITS per second

Network connection are typically measured in in Megabits per second. On my N wireless at home I get 144 Mbps on my connections which is about max. You can figure 54 Mbps is about max on a G network. 11.0 Mbps is max on a B network.

Edited to add, RR is right in that your Internet connection won't be faster than a G router.

So getting 2 MBs/sec (which is what I am getting on N) is good?

So getting 2 MBs/sec (which is what I am getting on N) is good?

I think this is correct.

8 bits to a byte

1 Megabit = 1024 bits

1 Megabyte = 1024 bytes

1 Megabyte = 8192 bits

2 Megabytes = 16384 bits

2 Megabytes = 16 Megabits

16 Mbps = not so good.

I think this is correct.

8 bits to a byte

1 Megabit = 1024 bits

1 Megabyte = 1024 bytes

1 Megabyte = 8192 bits

2 Megabytes = 16384 bits

16 Mbps = not so good.

FYI... "Mega" = 1,000,000

IE. 512MB of RAM = 512,000,000 Bytes of RAM. (these numbers are usually rounded in some way. It's not "exactly" 1,000,000)

In the numbers you have up there: 1024 bits = 1 Kilobit

IE. 512MB of RAM = 512,000,000 Bytes of RAM. (these numbers are usually rounded in some way. It's not "exactly" 1,000,000)

I did some research and my router at N speed maxes out at 270Mbps/sec and I am getting 2.10 MBs/sec so I think I am getting roughly 210Mbps/sec.

I am going to do another trial run today and see the difference between G and N.

I think this is correct.

8 bits to a byte

1 Megabit = 1024 bits

1 Megabyte = 1024 bytes

1 Megabyte = 8192 bits

2 Megabytes = 16384 bits

16 Mbps = not so good.

yeah, i think kid cid's chart should read: "1 Megabyte = 1024 kbits." the final answer is correct, though. according to google, .125 megabytes = 1 megabit, so 2 megabytes = 16 megabits.

yeah, i think kid cid's chart should read: "1 Megabyte = 1024 kbits." the final answer is correct, though. according to google, .125 megabytes = 1 megabit, so 2 megabytes = 16 megabits.

Yes....he made a valiant attempt, from memory I am sure, but forgot the k in front of bits, bytes etc..

Go here and test your Internet speed:

http://www.speakeasy.net/

My numbers on my wireless connection are: (Mind you these are internet speeds, NOT local network speeds on Comcast)

10451 Kbps (10.5Mbps) Download speed

3729 Kbps (3.7 Mbps) Upload speed (Understand when uploading, the site you are uploading from controls the speed)

Almost the same on my direct connected PC (ethernet)

Both way below the 54 Mbps that a 'G' provides.

Important:

BTW, MrT, how are measuring speed between 2 computers on the same network? I'd like to test mine for file transfer also. Kid...same question.

Yes....he made a valiant attempt, from memory I am sure, but forgot the k in front of bits, bytes etc..

Go here and test your Internet speed:

http://www.speakeasy.net/

My numbers on my wireless connection are: (Mind you these are internet speeds, NOT local network speeds on Comcast)

10451 Kbps (10.5Mbps) Download speed

3729 Kbps (3.7 Mbps) Upload speed (Understand when uploading, the site you are uploading from controls the speed)

Almost the same on my direct connected PC (ethernet)

Both way below the 54 Mbps that a 'G' provides.

Important:

BTW, MrT, how are measuring speed between 2 computers on the same network? I'd like to test mine for file transfer also. Kid...same question.

I transferred an image of about 7 gigs wirelessly from my laptop to my computer (on different floors). The average transfer speed was 2.10 MB/s a second

I transferred an image of about 7 gigs wirelessly from my laptop to my computer (on different floors). The average transfer speed was 2.10 MB/s a second

But what did yo use to measure that???? :wacko:

Heh, I knew I'd screw that up.

You can use a tool like Wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/). Wireshark (formerly Ethereal) is a packet sniffer. This may be much, much more that you bargained for as it will capture the individual packets on the wire (or in the air as it were). The packets are the little packages of data that are wrapped with address information that get sent over the Ethernet and Internet. It's tools like these that are used to steal user's data from unencrypted communications. It is also tools like these that are the reason that you should always be aware of the security of your network.