[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WDIS this weekend: Rivers or Hasselbeck?

MTSuper7

Who do you think has the best chance to produce this weekend? Philip Rivers vs. Oakland or Matt Hasselbeck vs. NE. Even though Rivers has been solid most of this season, I am leaning toward Hasselbeck. I just have a feeling that he will put up better numbers. Rivers just looked bad last week, and he never does well against Oakland. Hasselbeck didn't have any scores, but did throw for almost 300 yards at Dallas on Thanksgiving. With the added rest and the primetime home matchup against a soft NE secondary, Hasselbeck in appealing alternative to Rivers. Am I nuts?

Who do you think has the best chance to produce this weekend? Philip Rivers vs. Oakland or Matt Hasselbeck vs. NE. Even though Rivers has been solid most of this season, I am leaning toward Hasselbeck. I just have a feeling that he will put up better numbers. Rivers just looked bad last week, and he never does well against Oakland. Hasselbeck didn't have any scores, but did throw for almost 300 yards at Dallas on Thanksgiving. With the added rest and the primetime home matchup against a soft NE secondary, Hasselbeck in appealing alternative to Rivers. Am I nuts?

Thanks for the help!

I think that you're correct in leaning toward Hasselbeck. They will likely be playing from behind, which is never a bad thing...plus, NE secondary has proven to be suspect. Unlike the beginning of the season Hasselbeck has some weapons at his disposal. As far as Rivers is concerned, he just hasn't played very well lately. Also, the one glimmer of light that the Raiders have is their secondary. Hope this helps.

I don't like rivers playing oakland at all. but i am not so sure hass. is going to do much either. are there any decent free agents available? frerotte, flacco, hill, maybe even shaub??

There really aren't any QBs on the waiver wire. I guess I feel like Hasselbeck has a higher ceiling than Rivers, given their respective matchups. Not sure if I'm deluding myself to think that Hass can throw for 250yds, 1 or 2 TDs, but I really don't see Rivers getting those kinds of numbers against the Raiders tonight. I might just flip a coin on this one.

I think I'd go with Rivers. Oakland tends to shut down the opponents top WR, San Diego shares the wealth among everyone (and won't have Nnamdi Asomugha guarding Antonio Gates). I also think you can safely count on Rivers to play a full game, I'm not convinced Hasselbeck will last 4 quarters against the Pats' pass rush. And Rivers has a MUCH higher upside.

I too would lean towards Rivers. Matt has been pretty awful this year. They still have no deep threat to speak of. He hit his TE for 100 yds last week. Go with Rivers and hope he find Gates tonight along with LT or Sproles out of the backfield. If they hit, the deep stuff will be there too.

Good luck

Im with you MT the only thing Da Raiders have at all is their D and the ceiling is definitely higher with Hass. He just got back from injury but did well last week against what I would consider a similiar D. More TD potential for sure and D Branch is back. K hole looks ok and they will be playing from behind where as SD will be playing from ahead. Good Luck!

Hope you took my advice - short stuff opened up the long balls ;o)

:wacko:

This all but guarantees Hasselbeck will do nothing. Oh well... classic case of overthinking. Still, wasn't last night like Rivers' best game ever vs. Oakland (or at least in the last few seasons)?