[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scoring system - Defenses/ST (no IDP)

MrTed46

I am curious to see what the preferred scoring system is for each position so I am going to start with Defense since it was discussed previously. Remember this is for Entire DSTs not IDP.

This is what I use in my league I would love to hear what you like and don't like (this may benefit everyone)

Blocked extra point:

3 points

Blocked punt:

3 points

Blocked FG:

3 points

TD scored:

6 points 0 to 39 yards

8 points 40 to 100 yards

12 points 100+

Interceptions:

2 points

Sacks :

1 point

Safeties:

4 points

20 points for a shut out

13 points for points allowed between 1-3

10 points for points allowed between 4-9

5 points for points allowed between 10-19

2 points for points allowed between 20-29

0 points for points allowed between 30-39

-5 points for points allowed between 40-54

-10 points for points allowed between 55-100

Kickoff Return Yards:

1 pt per 50

Punt Return Yards:

1 pt per 50

Fumbles recovered:

2 points per FR

Is that 1 pt per 50 yards of total return yards or 1 pt for each return of 50 or more yards? If it is the former, I would argue that it rewards teams for receiving a bunch of kick-offs which means your D is not doing a very good job. The punt returns, on the other hand can only be good. A ton of yards means that you are not only forcing punts but also getting nice returns. Thus, I would reward total yds for punts but maybe average yds for kick offs.

Other than that, I really, really like the system and I reflects many things that I've tried to pull my old-school league more and more towards. This year, for instance, I finally was able to make points allowed a bigger deal. I mean, that is the point isn't it? It was pulling teeth to even get shut-out to +10. I pleaded, that there is no single thing that any team can do to avoid a loss than to shut someone out. None the less, baby steps. 10 is better than 5.

I also finally got them to adopt negative points for high points allowed. I bothered me that teams that managed to force TOs and run back kicks for TDs could be ranked among the better FF Ds even if they were routinely being gutted for 30+.

Again, all in all, I dig it. Save for the bit about Kick off return yards, provided that it is total.

Edited by detlef

Is that 1 pt per 50 yards of total return yards or 1 pt for each return of 50 or more yards? If it is the former, I would argue that it rewards teams for receiving a bunch of kick-offs which means your D is not doing a very good job. The punt returns, on the other hand can only be good. A ton of yards means that you are not only forcing punts but also getting nice returns. Thus, I would reward total yds for punts but maybe average yds for kick offs.

Other than that, I really, really like the system and I reflects many things that I've tried to pull my old-school league more and more towards. This year, for instance, I finally was able to make points allowed a bigger deal. I mean, that is the point isn't it? It was pulling teeth to even get shut-out to +10. I pleaded, that there is no single thing that any team can do to avoid a loss than to shut someone out. None the less, baby steps. 10 is better than 5.

I also finally got them to adopt negative points for high points allowed. I bothered me that teams that managed to force TOs and run back kicks for TDs could be ranked among the better FF Ds even if they were routinely being gutted for 30+.

Again, all in all, I dig it. Save for the bit about Kick off return yards, provided that it is total.

It is 1 PT for EVERY 50 yards

so lets say a team punts 5 times and each resulted in 10 yards thats 1 point

Maybe I will change it to

1 PT per 25 Punt return yards

1 PT per 100 Kickoff return yards

Maybe I will change it to

1 PT per 25 Punt return yards

1 PT per 100 Kickoff return yards

If you use MFL, I bet they'll do average and that would ultimately be the best way to reward Kick off returns. After all, it is the ultimate goal of any football team to receive no more than 1 kick off per game. There's no reason to essentially penalize someone for achieving that goal. Again, just a thought.

too many leagues to list, but one constant is we keep the deensivee scoring limited, since it is often usch a flukely thing.

My largest $$ league:

Scoring for Defensive Categories

BFTD - Blocked Field Goal Touchdown (ID/ST/DST) 6 points

BPTD - Blocked Punt Touchdown (ID/ST/DST) 6 points

DFR - Defensive/ST Fumble Recovered (ID/DT/DST) 2 points

DFRTD - Defensive Fumble Recovery TD (ID/DT/DST) 6 points

Int - Interceptions 2 points

IntTD - Interception TD 6 points

KRTD - Kick Return TD (ID/ST/DST) 6 points

PA - Points Against, Total Points Scored

0 - 1 PA = 6 points

2 - 13 PA = 3 points