[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Suspended (Pizza Delivery) for No Car-Topper

KevinL

Our store hasn't had enough car toppers for years. Usually I like to wear one.

We just got a new set, they light up and are rechargable. They are very nice.

But we have also had at least 3 armed robberies against our chain in the past month, plus the robbery attempt against me.

So I have decided I will not wear a topper until after Christmas, when (hopefully) the crime season will have died down.

I didn't wear a topper on Monday and our shift manager was aware of it. When I came in tonight he told me I had to wear one or I would be suspended.

So I am suspended. I don't mind so much as this is a 2nd job for me, and I'll live for a couple weeks without the money.

But I wish management would realize the recent crime increase is holiday-related and suspend the car-topper requirement until after Christmas.

Our store hasn't had enough car toppers for years. Usually I like to wear one.

We just got a new set, they light up and are rechargable. They are very nice.

But we have also had at least 3 armed robberies against our chain in the past month, plus the robbery attempt against me.

So I have decided I will not wear a topper until after Christmas, when (hopefully) the crime season will have died down.

I didn't wear a topper on Monday and our shift manager was aware of it. When I came in tonight he told me I had to wear one or I would be suspended.

So I am suspended. I don't mind so much as this is a 2nd job for me, and I'll live for a couple weeks without the money.

But I wish management would realize the recent crime increase is holiday-related and suspend the car-topper requirement until after Christmas.

Probably economy related, too.

Good luck, I know you've got it tough still.

I can sympathize with you. I use to do pizza delivery (a long time ago) and use to visit some REALLY bad areas! I mean REALLY BAD!!! Anyway, my manager, who happen to be a very good friend as well, knew it was like driving with a mobile ATM sign on the top of our cars so he never forced us. Sometimes you can feel the eyes on you when you are in a chitty apartment complex or trailer park and you are already thinking about what your next move will be if someone comes at you. (I have some harrowing experiences myself) No sense broadcasting your presence as well. Our rule was "if you don't feel safe, either don't go or turn around and leave".

Edited by millerx

I delivered pizza part time for a short period and was told that pizza toppers were a city ordinance issue. It could be that there is nothing your manager can do about it. If it isn't, then its more than likely an advertising thing with the owners. They want there name on the street, lit up, for all to see.

I would often drive out of the lot with my pizza topper on and once I was a couple blocks away, I would take it off.

Sorry you got suspended but if you feel your safety is at risk, then I think you made the right choice.