[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DVD Ripping

AtomicCEO

Has anyone had any luck ripping DVDs to high-quality files like AVI? Can you recommend an application (preferably free) for doing it?

I've tried a few freeware apps, and I can't seem to get as good quality from it as I see on files other people give me.

Any advice? Right now I'm trying Format Factory, and I've been messing with settings, but it's not great. Bad de-interlacing, and no option for a wide-screen file output.

I got some good advice from the Tailgate here recently. I've been using DVD43 as a program that runs in the background and whenever I put a DVD in, it decrypts it. Then, I just open Handbrake and put it in to whatever format and away you go! Try it out.

MPEG streamclip works for both PC/Mac and it does no wrong IMO, except...AVIs on the Mac. They just don't export correctly.

Sounds like you're PC, be sure to poke into VirtualDub, as it can create nice uncompressed AVIs with filter options (such as deinterlacing) that are very versatile. It can also export to any size you choose, using either absolute pixels or maintaining an aspect ratio of your choice.

Edited by Pope Flick

I got some good advice from the Tailgate here recently. I've been using DVD43 as a program that runs in the background and whenever I put a DVD in, it decrypts it. Then, I just open Handbrake and put it in to whatever format and away you go! Try it out.

:wacko:

If you're on a Mac, you won't need a decryptor such as DVD43 - just use Handbrake.

Edited by kpholmes

:wacko:

If you're on a Mac, you won't need a decryptor such as DVD43 - just use Handbrake.

Handbrake appears to be exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Free application and totally customizeable. After reading up on it, I think it's probably the industry standard app for doing this. I started to load it on my PC, but since it's totally cross-platform, I just put it on my Mac mini which is acting as my media center right now. Piece of cake.

I was able to do a widescreen rip of a letterboxed DVD, and de-interlace it so it doesn't have jaggies on movement. Those were the features I didn't have on the other one.

After tweaking the settings a little, I'm able to get a really nice result. :D