[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pet responsibilty and Vets

theeohiostate

So, my wife is taking one of her cats to have surgery today to remove a tumor the size of a baseball that erupted on the side of it's body. Our new puppy is about 14 weeks and will go in for it's shots next week.

I do a little research on pets vaccinations today and see a Texas A&M study collaborated by many Vets in which they state that getting your pet shots every year can cause more harm then good, including cancer. It further sites the request of the Texas Attorney General to issue warning about the matte and that the study says Vets are more interested in repeat business then scientific proof when it comes to yearly shots.

The article, for which i didn't save the link, also says a shot is good for 3+ years and Vets stating otherwise are using these yearly call back notices for self interests. We have 3 cats and 1 dog, I think we spend quite a bit on each year for shots, I will ask my Vet about this matter next week when I see him.

Here is another article i was reading on the subject, not related to the A&M study

http://www.healthyhappydogs.com/Article.PetVaccination

I've looked into this some cuz in the past I feared I was being ripped off. The vets do tend to recommend vaccinations at a greater frequency than most experts do. You gotta watch them, because they are hurting for revenue and have their own interests in mind. It's best to do your homework depending on the pet and hold them to it. But I will say that I have a cat that recently expired his rabies shot and then got in a fight and got a nasty bite. We were worried that he might need to be put down but results came back negative. If you have any pets going outside, stay up to par on the rabies.