[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Education for Children

Brentastic

Hope it's a good one.

We moved 18+ years ago but stayed in the same system of schools. My daughter wanted to stay w/ friends she had made thru grammer school. In DuPage County, IL, it is NOT considered a great school. Why? High Hispanic population. MEH!!!! My daughter graduated in the top 5% of her class, got into U of I, which is NOT an easy school to get into, resident or not. Many of her friends qualified and went to U of I, Michigan, and more. She worked for Target Corp. in Minny after graduating. Hated the job, came back home and got her teaching creds and an MA! She is doing well, albeit over worked, and should get tenure this year. I am so proud of her I could bust! :D Bottom line.....don't over analyze your school system. Sometimes it's better to be in a supposed "Questionable School". Especially if your child has a focus!

I support public education 100%! And will til the day I die.

good info here, you're wisdom is unparalled :wacko:

I won't dis Montessori, but as an old teacher in the Public School System I think too many people think that if they pay extra they get better. That is not always true.

Brent,

My daughter is a CPS teacher. She complains all the time as to how much of her "free time" is spent on doing work for the CPS! She is dedicated, she works hard, and I think her school is close to you. Uplift? It's a High School now, but started as a combo JHS/SHS.

All I'm saying is that "What you spend does not necessarily get your child a better education.". Public schools in Chi and the surrounding burbs are doing a good job. Don't dismiss them just cause!

I appreciate the input RR! But really, it's not about paying higher to get a better education - it's about principal and methods. I've been complaining about the way our society treats education for a long, long time. I think the traditional way of learning is severely flawed - I don't think the traditional schools teach children how to think. Memorizing facts is not learning to use your mind. To me the most important subjects are math, science, art and music and I really like the approach to math the montessori method exhibits. I've always been a person who gravitates toward unconventional and progressive ideas and from what I've read, I am really confident the montessori method is the best way to allow a child to maximize their potential.

Edited by Brentastic