[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just got a 1911

idahov

I have wanted a 1911 for awhile. I didn't buy it directly, but ended up with a new mil spec Rock Island 1911 as a gift. From what I've read, it sounds like a good shooter. This is my first pistol, but I've shot my buddies Kimber a few times. I've got Hogue grips and a couple of MrCormick mags coming. Now what to shoot to break her in. Any preferences with respect to cost/quality/availability?

:wacko:

Congrats :wacko: 1911s are far and away my favorite pistols.

Are you asking what kind of ammo to break it in with? That's really up to you and what you can find a good deal on. I'd stay away from anything in a steel case - Wolf especially. Stick with brass cased 230 gr FMJ. Shoot 500 rounds of that before you try to get the RI to digest semi-wadcutters.

The Winchester white box used to be a good deal at Wally World - not so much anymore.

Sellier and Bellot is good if you can find it.

Congrats :wacko: 1911s are far and away my favorite pistols.

Are you asking what kind of ammo to break it in with? That's really up to you and what you can find a good deal on. I'd stay away from anything in a steel case - Wolf especially. Stick with brass cased 230 gr FMJ. Shoot 500 rounds of that before you try to get the RI to digest semi-wadcutters.

The Winchester white box used to be a good deal at Wally World - not so much anymore.

You, Sir, are a Great American! :D

Congrats :D 1911s are far and away my favorite pistols.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I've been looking around, and ammo isn't staying on the shelves long. I've only been able to score two boxes of American Eagle 230gr FMJ so far. Thanks for the suggestions. Going to go kill some cans early next week. :wacko:

Colt 1911 was standard side arm when I was a MP in the Navy for 3 years (did 8 years but got extended TAD orders at security). By far my favorite gun. We were allowed 100 rounds per week to take to the firing range but my buddy worked in the Armory and we would get about 1k each every Saturday to blow off. Double tap center mass baby!!