[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

South by Southwest (SXSW) 2009

darin3

Aww man. As a huge fan of Squirrel Nut Zippers, OCMS, and Sideshow Tramps... you knew I'd like that White Ghost Shivers stuff. Excellent.

And Asteroids Galaxy appear to have their songs in a lot of commercials. I recognized a few of those tracks too, but only from television commercials.

:D I had another one of those :wacko: moments last night watching the Shivers, thinking to myself "CEO would love this chit".

And yup, that makes sense about the Asteroids. Definitely heard them somewhere before.

I'm really enjoying this WGS right now! I bet they're great live. They are pretty much swing jazz but that 30s jazz is my favorite era of jazz, so I dig.

The banjo player/lead singer is literally like 6'11" and lanky. Total trip.

Day/night two was highlighted by Health, a band from Los Angeles. Kind of a NIN meets Tool meets Stabbing Westward. Totally blew my mind. Paid to get into the Von Bondies show, but got there way too early and my buddy was starting to pass out at the bar :2cents: so we had to get his azz home and I decided to call it a night too.

Today and tonight, more music and :D ... Ben Harper and Third Eye Blind are playing, but we'll likely not get in. :D Still plenty going on.

:wacko::D:D

Alright maybe I do have the time to run this down real quick... :wacko: Started out by checking out a "battle of the bands" type of thing, and got to see a pretty sweet band from Charlottesville, VA called 6 Day Bender. Made our way downtown and saw a Norweigan band called The Casio Kids. Very cool stuff. Continued on, forgoing a free show put on by Fastball (hopefully seeing them tomorrow) and camped out at the Blind Pig Pub on 6th St. and saw Driver F, a local poppy-rock band with a ton of personality. While at that show, a buddy of mine was like "hey dude, that comic guy Doug Benson is downstairs". Me and the wife are pretty big fans, so we went down to try getting a photo with him or something. Some clown was chatting him up big time, and we didn't wanna look like stalkers standing next to them, so we got a couple beers and bailed. Well, there was a problem with the bar's credit card machine, so I was sittin there for awhile waiting for the bartender to get his head out of his azz... got a text that Benson was up hanging out with our group... went up there and burnt one down with him, chatted for a bit, got hooked up for some shows, etc. Real cool guy. So yeah, I smoked out with the guy from Super High Me. :D

Tried to get out to see Trojanmojo's guy Raul Malo, but it was a big time hike and we had someone with us who was unable to walk long distances. Bummer, as I was looking forward to seeing him.

Another great day and night. One more to go. Will try seeing Fastball, Bowling for Soup and The Crystal Method... among others.

What no Kanye? :wacko:

I heard he played a "secret" show here, but I seriously doubt we coulda got in wherever that was at.

Speaking of hip-hop, I'm pretty bummed I missed Brother Ali. Par for the course with SXSW, though... I just have to live with the fact that I'm gonna see about 30% of what I really, really want to go see.

Man, what a wild cap to a crazy four days here in Austin. Yesterday and last night were a complete whirlwind. Started out tame enough, with me, my wife and a buddy of ours trying to get into the Rachael Ray party (don't laugh, they had free food.. and good food). We were apparently on a "list", but even those on this list had to wait in a HUGH line that wrapped around the block. F that.

So we ended up walking around a bit and finding an outdoor deal where we saw a pretty sweet band called Full Service.

Then, it got pretty nuts. We stumbled upon a free event at what may be one of our new favorite places in Austin, called the Mohawk. The three of us just chilled out and listened to a couple bands before it got... well. Crazy. We had seen these crazy Japanese people dressed up sorta like Power Rangers or Pikachu or something earlier in the week, and they were next up. The events that transpired over the next half hour can only be described as crazy and I will be posting photos and a couple videos in the next day or so to show y'all. It was simply nuts. See Peelander-Z's website for more information. :D

Ended up getting some dinner at a sports bar to watch some March Madness, then walked the wife back to our car. Me and my buddy walked to another bar, and found that Peelander was playing another show, so we saw them a second time and while it wasn't quite as crazy, it was still a great time.

Over the course of the next few hours, we hopped around a few other bars and really didn't see much musically speaking but just enjoyed the general craziness. Way too many Lone Stars and Jagr bombs. Passed out at my buddy's place last night and the wife came and got me this morning.

I have a stack of promo CDs I collected over the course of the four days, and will be doing a bunch of iTunes downloading over the course of the next few days. I'll be offering a 2-CD set for SXSW '09 for those interested.

:wacko:

Edited by darin3