[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Investment advice

theeohiostate

I have an annuity that is maturing and would like to know some resident experts advice if I should put it into some stocks now.

I realize picking a bottom to this market is impossible, but we have to be getting close and maybe another 10% drop would do it.

Even if the stocks I purchase decline 10% near term, in the long run I feel it may be a good time to buy.

Thoughts ?

I have an annuity that is maturing and would like to know some resident experts advice if I should put it into some stocks now.

I realize picking a bottom to this market is impossible, but we have to be getting close and maybe another 10% drop would do it.

Even if the stocks I purchase decline 10% near term, in the long run I feel it may be a good time to buy.

Thoughts ?

The bottom has not yet hit but there are some deals to be had. I personally think Oil is going to come up sooner or later. Steel companies is another industry to look at (maybe wait a little longer on this).

Companies like JNJ always interest me (they are bulletproof). Also alcohol makers should start making more money as the economy turns.

Just my thoughts and what I'm looking into. The bottom has not yet come though.

there is another thread on 401K investing that mirrors your question....asking whether folks are still contributing to their 401Ks. there are many responses that would apply to your question about whether to invest in stocks, or other platforms.

personally, I do think the market is near a bottom, and a short-term spike is likely. However, I feel that the market has permanently turned-off a large percentage of the investing community that made it a hotbed for the last 10 years. People lost a fortune, and many aren't likely to return. Due to this reduced activity, less of the "blood in the water" mentality, and a greater distrust of many key industries (banking, oil, etc.), I think significanty more modest gains should be expected.

Buying now, and holding for 1-3 years, should ensure you catch the correction and lock-in some nice gains at exit. Long-term, I'd shift some of that principal and gains to a fixed-rate investment and lock-in a solid 4-5% return.

Thoughts ?

You could look at investing in indexes....because as the market comes back, indexes tend to move forward at a crazy pace....sometimes unwarranted. You can get some nice returns there for like 18 months and then do as you wish...just an idea.

Companies like JNJ always interest me (they are bulletproof).

+1. People always need toilet paper and toothpaste.

When I do put some new money in the market (and I'm not planning on it for at least another 6 months), I'll be buying plenty of JNJ and PG.