[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Infinity

Thews40

Two scenarios  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In example 1, is the ball's exact distance traveled finite or infinite?

• Finite
    • Infinite
  2. 2. Is there enough factual information to describe antimatter as made up of antiparticles?

• yes
    • no
    • other
  3. 3. In the definition linked, is it possible to solve one of the "greatest unsolved problems in physics"

• yes
    • no
  4. 4. Puddy

• man
    • myth
    • machine

Sorry to hear the news. Wishing your family the best.

May want to check out the Science Channel tonight at 9:00 eastern, a show called What Time is It. I've got it set to record. You may find it interesting.

Whenever we fly somewhere my wife and I discuss whether or not saving time creates time. In the 1800's you could not go to Boston for the weekend from Dallas.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct, such as in pi, its precision goes in infinitely but is a finite number.

This doesn't make sense. If your mind were infinite, you'd understand, or be able to reach beyond whatever limit your mind sets as the boundary condition. If the boundary condition is set to infinity, then you must accept you are finite in your thought process. To say a number goes on infinitely, but is finite, is how it's rationalized. If you believe your mind is inifinite, when it reaches a point where it understands it's pointless to obtain further resolution, it stops and accepts the boundary condition as far enough. If you accept your mind is in fact finite in its thought process, you just stop and conclude the infinite number you used in your example is an infinite number. It seems trivial, but I don't think it is. Your mind is either finite or infinite, and if you beileve your mind is infinite, there would be no noise floor.

Here's food for thought for you Big John... can you prove that the following statement I'm making is false:

Inside of every living cell, buried in its core comprised of each atom, is its infinite core. This core of each atom is made up of antimatter is an antimatterparticle, and acts as a buffer between it and the antimatter on the other side of it... the extreme outside of it, and that would be the end of the universe. Collectively, the combined mass of every human is ultimately made up of number of antimatter particles. When the person dies, the combined antimatter particles make up the person's soul and are released.

Just curious... do you believe your mind is finite or infinite in its thought process?

Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two contradictory ideas simultaneously. The "ideas" or "cognitions" in question may include attitudes and beliefs, and also the awareness of one's behavior. The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by changing their attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors, or by justifying or rationalizing their attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors.[1] Cognitive dissonance theory is one of the most influential and extensively studied theories in social psychology.

Dissonance normally occurs when a person perceives a logical inconsistency among his or her cognitions. This happens when one idea implies the opposite of another. For example, a belief in animal rights could be interpreted as inconsistent with eating meat or wearing fur. Noticing the contradiction would lead to dissonance, which could be experienced as anxiety, guilt, shame, anger, embarrassment, stress, and other negative emotional states. When people's ideas are consistent with each other, they are in a state of harmony, or consonance. If cognitions are unrelated, they are categorized as irrelevant to each other and do not lead to dissonance.

A powerful cause of dissonance is when an idea conflicts with a fundamental element of the self-concept, such as "I am a good person" or "I made the right decision." The anxiety that comes with the possibility of having made a bad decision can lead to rationalization, the tendency to create additional reasons or justifications to support one's choices. A person who just spent too much money on a new car might decide that the new vehicle is much less likely to break down than his or her old car. This belief may or may not be true, but it would likely reduce dissonance and make the person feel better. Dissonance can also lead to confirmation bias, the denial of disconfirming evidence, and other ego defense mechanisms.

Just now saw this. :wacko: Thews, like other have said, there is not much I can say that is going to make things any better. I am very sorry for your loss and have you in my thoughts and prayers. Its says a ton about you that even though you have lost a major part of your life, you insist on focusing on the good times you had with her and are thankful for the time you did have with her. Its probably not the natural reaction for most of us, but is something we should all consider when we lose someone. God bless.

--Billy "Zia"