[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NASCAR Nextel Cup 2004

Pack Mentality

Any thoughts on the upcoming NASCAR season? The new points/quasi-playoff system? Predictions for this year's champion? Anyone (else) in a fantasy racing league? I'm in a 9-team league that just started up this season on SportsCrusader.com. Our draft's still in progress, but with two out of three rounds complete I've got Dale Jr. and Mark Martin, and I'm feelin' lucky...

Not sure how I'm going to like the new scoring system. I like JJ, Jimmie Johnson to take the title, and being a 24 car fan have heard all those jokes.

I play over at nascar.com for the fun of it and me and a buddy (#8) have our own personal 36 week grudge match for some bucks and bragging rights(I won last year :D )

My prediction for this year is Ryan Newman or Jimmy Johnson. I know that is not too much of a stretch but I think those two have the best shot. I have actually done pretty well picking the champ the past two years. Two years ago I said either Sterling Marlin or Tony Stewart and last year I said Kurt Bush or Matt Kenseth. I guess we'll see if I can keep the streak alive. I got into a fantasy Nascar league for the first time this year.

I just made my third and final pick, and he is Brian Vickers, the 2004 Rookie of the Year favorite after being the hottest driver in the second half of the 2003 Busch Series.

As I said earlier, I got Dale Earnhardt Jr. with my first pick. He should be right up there in the thick of the Cup chase with Johnson, Newman and Kenseth. My second-round pick, Mark Martin, is a good complement to Dale Jr.; he's fairly strong all around in his own right, but has done particularly well on road courses, where Dale Jr. has struggled. I was amazed when my last pick came up and Vickers was still available.