[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Educational ethics question

polksalet

I think the wikipedia and then coaxing contributions thing is a good idea, don't see any ethical issues at all. only real downside I see (if it is a downside in your situation) is all of your classmates have access to the fruits of your labor. but it's probably a pretty good way to collect the info and refine it in sort of an organic way.

I recently received this note from a student:

==============

” I know that I am not alone in being concerned with my ability to successfully complete this course. I understand that this is a graduate level course and that it is inherently writing intensive, but I really don't see how we can complete all of these chapter summaries in addition to the monograph.

Each of us is taking three other courses in addition to this one and the majority of us are working full time jobs as well. It personally takes me about 6 to 8 hours to complete a chapter summary. With the assignments from the other courses, I am looking at 24 to 36 hours of assignments that have to be done on a weekly basis.

Please understand that I am not trying to complain, but rather that I am afraid that this level of work load will result in a decrease in the quality of my work.”

===============

I have not been keeping up-to-date and I am surprised that some (or all?) of you are taking 12 credits. The maximum that you should be taking is 6 credits as part-time students. We cannot water down our courses to enable part-time students to take four graduate level courses – then the MS program will not be worth much………

But, I will re-examine the assignments and see what I can do to help……….Future assignments will be related to some practical work using Spatial Analyst as I informed you some time ago..

Please understand that I am not trying to complain,

For not trying, he did a hell of a job.

I doubt he sent his employer a letter asking him to cut back on the amount of work so he could go to school.

Suck it up, reduce your courseload, or work part-time....period.

For not trying, he did a hell of a job.

I doubt he sent his employer a letter asking him to cut back on the amount of work so he could go to school.

Suck it up, reduce your courseload, or work part-time....period.

A major reason I chose this degree is that they advertise getting a MS in 18 months or less. Not only do they allow you to take 12 hours they told all of us it was required. Why this guy didn't know this is beyond me.