[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Henry crying to the press...

LegFuJohnson

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1737841

Hey, John, you want some cheese with your whine?

Of course, whoever wrote that article totalled seemed to forget that Soriano is a 40/40 threat every year, but that's not the point. Henry has no problem outspending 28 other teams, but because George made him look foolish with this, now he wants to change the rules... Boo-Hoo bawling

Christ! I couldn't agree more! For him to complain about money is as hypocritical as it comes. The whining is an embarrassment to the Red Sox faithful.. Supposedly, Henry offered A-Rod the deal that the Yankees offered when he heard it was going to happen.. That just adds insult to injury.. Does he really think he holds the cards against an A-Rod?! I would have much preferred he come out and say "Hey, I f*cked up" but nobody seems to take responsibility for anything anymore.. It's the new American way unfortunately.

Do I feel there should be a cap? YES, and the Red Sox are over it too! Do I hate the Yankees? YES; but the ARod deal didn't cause or strengthen that--many many years of rivalry have done that--ARod and Henry will come and go---the rivalry (albeit, lopsided in victory for now) will live on..

Here is some Boston Homerism... I seem to remember a team in football that lost a star the week before game one and proceeded in to be crushed by the team that got him.... Things seemed pretty bleak at that point. What did that team go on to do?

Oh Yeah .. that was the Superbowl XXXVIII Champion NE Patriots! This is the year the Red Sox win it ALL too! jump head_ban jump

Except that the Pats lost one of their own...

But its so simple to say there should be a cap in baseball, unless you think about what that would actually mean, and then it becomes extremely difficult. Basketball & Football have different caps, and neither would work in baseball. So, if someone has a grand plan, great, I'd love to hear it, but besides the obvious fact that the players won't go for it, I don't know how it works.

One of the best things about baseball is watching how teams rebuild. I'll trade you this veteran for this young player and two prospects... so maybe in two years these guys are part of the future. A cap would totally eliminate that. When the Marlins traded Alfonseca & Clement to the Cubs for minor leaguers that not many had heard of... it was written that it was another bad for baseball trade. The fact that Rookie of the Year Dontrelle Willis was part of that deal is quickly forgotten by those people.

If the Pirates didn't give a non-power hitting catcher a $60 million, 10-year contract, and money to Derek "operation shut-down" Bell, maybe they could compete. They just need to get their young pitchers healthy, then they'll have their shot. And when they do compete, a lot of the players that are part of that team they will have acquired from trading their veterans. All trades that wouldn't have been possible under a cap.

Actually, I don't care if the Pirates do find a way to improve. Baseball still sucks, and I still won't go to or watch a Pirates game.

As I've mentioned several times before, the 1992 NLCS absolutely broke my heart. I have never been so utterly devastated by sports. I have only watched 1 baseball game since then (game 7 of the Diamondbacks-Yankees series), and I don't have any plans to watch any in the near future.

So I guess I should just shut up about baseball, huh?

LegFuJohnson:

I remember that one well.  There were a few broken dishes in the dorm (friend was Pirate fan).  So, you haven't watched since?  A game was that heartbreaking?  Some would suggest that a sport must be pretty great to cause that much emotion in fans.

There were no broken dishes in my dorm room, but I almost broke my roommate's face (she chose the moment after Bream (Breem?) scored to mention to me that she had been rooting for the Braves all along :mad: ).

You could say a sport must be great to cause such emotion, but (1) for me in baseball, only if it is my team, and the Pirates have sucked ever since then, and (2) I discovered football after that, and baseball really just cannot compare.