[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Being a US Senator is "real life" experience?

MojoMan

“Personal acquaintanceship or friendship was perhaps the dominant consideration in the selection of justices by Harry Truman and Lyndon Johnson, and it was an important consideration for both FDR and Kennedy. By contrast, recent presidents determined to shift the court's jurisprudence in a more conservative direction (Nixon, Reagan and George W. Bush) have been willing to abandon friendship as a criteria in favor of ideological criteria.”

Hmm . . some nominate friends, some nominate only according to conservative "purity".

What happened to qualified individuals? It is very interesting that historically a lot of justices were not judges before serving on the Supreme Court, and that is largely a more recent phenomenon.

So much for "fair and impartial" . . . . .lol.

Hmm . . some nominate friends, some nominate only according to conservative "purity".

What happened to qualified individuals? It is very interesting that historically a lot of justices were not judges before serving on the Supreme Court, and that is largely a more recent phenomenon.

So much for "fair and impartial" . . . . .lol.

:wacko: from the story you misquoted:

Five of Franklin Roosevelt's nine nominees were poker buddies, advisers or political lieutenants.

I'm sure his advisers and political lieutenants were impartial. I wonder if they were the same advisers that gave him the idea of adding justices to the supreme so he could stack it in his favor in order to pass his unconstitutional program? FDR and the courts should never be held up a good example. He had no respect for the courts, and had the chief justice not finally bent to FDR's will, the court would have been much different than what the founding fathers designed.

Perch, you need t6o read my post more carefully.

When I said "friends" it WAS slamming FDR. When I sad "conservative purity", it was slamming GWB, Nixon and Reagan.

Both were straight from the article.

The fair and impartial comment goes for BOTH parties and who they have nominated to the bench. Hell, FDR also brought back his buddy Bill Donovan and gave him almost unlimited power to start the OSS during WWII whicg turned into the modern day CIA. he was one of the WORST aspects of cronyism in bringing in personnel.

FDR brought in his buddies, the later reblican presidents mentioned only brought in judges that mirrored their conservative viewpoint. BOTH are full of crap, and led to my comment about "what happened to fair and impartial"??