[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hot Dog Paradise

Clubfoothead

Today's specialty dogs at Hot Doug's:

Today: June 22, 2009...

I whacked your list to save space but left that part so we know what I am referring to.

Is a Smoked Sausage the same as a hot dog? I buy natural casing hot dogs from a meat packer that are pretty good but they are not what Nathans was when I was young and at the Jersey shore. When I think of a smoked sausage I think of a bigger, rounder, thing that does not have the same consistency of a hot dog, (lips and ass holes). :shurg:

I am honestly wondering if they are the same. As for the list up there. WOW! Where the hell do you start? I made it to the second choice and figured that one sounded good enough for me. No way would I be able to sort through that menu and pick the right choice. :wacko:

Edited by Skippy

I whacked your list to save space but left that part so we know what I am referring to.

Is a Smoked Sausage the same as a hot dog? I buy natural casing hot dogs from a meat packer that are pretty good but they are not what Nathans was when I was young and at the Jersey shore. When I think of a smoked sausage I think of a bigger, rounder, thing that does not have the same consistency of a hot dog, (lips and ass holes). :shurg:

I am honestly wondering if they are the same. As for the list up there. WOW! Where the hell do you start? I made it to the second choice and figured that one sounded good enough for me. No way would I be able to sort through that menu and pick the right choice. :wacko:

To answer your question, no, they are not the same. I mean, he does serve regular old hot dogs and brats, but that's not what he's famous for. The whole appeal of Hot Doug's is that he takes any and all meats and encases them and serves them on a bun- in fact his slogan is: "There are no two finer words in the English language than 'Encased Meats', my friend". The sausages are thick and hearty and there is a lot of variety. Doug, being a gourmet chef, then adds high-end cheeses and creates tasty unique sauces, mustards etc... to whatever sausages he has. Here is a list of meats (sausages) that I've had from HDs:

Alligator

Rattlesnake

Ribeye

Corned Beef (called the Tueben)

Blue Cheese Pork

Crayfish and Shrimp

Rabbit

Elk

Deer

Kangaroo

Wild Boar

And the list goes on an on. Basically, he creates about 10 or so specialty sausages that will be on the menu for a couple of weeks, then rotates in a new specialty menu. He probably has about 50+ specialty sausages that he's created. Two of my all time favorites are on Today's menu - the B.L.T and the Blue Cheese Pork Sausage. A lot of times he will rotate in the same meats but change the sauces, mustards and cheeses etc...

I invite any huddler to enjoy some Hot Doug's - we'll eat good then grab some beers. I mean the fact that I go each and every Saturday says a lot - I don't do that for any restaurant. Considering that it's a $20 meal for one dude (2 sausages, duck fries and a drink), that's also saying a lot.

E2A: Here's a pretty decent documentary done by some local college kids on HD's: Hot Doug's Documentary

Edited by Brentastic