[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Quick trvia/rules question

Cunning Runt

I know two parts...

Yes if you swing.

No if you don't.

I'm guessing the third part involves bunting?

Swing, yes. Bunting though would fall under the category of an attempted swing so that's not it. The last situation would be the most rare for sure.

I know two parts...

Yes if you swing.

No if you don't.

I'm guessing the third part involves bunting?

My guess is that, if bunting, the hand on the barrel of the bat would be in play, while the hand at the base would be considered part of the body... something to do with the hand being in the strike zone or not, if I remember correctly. :wacko:

My guess is that, if bunting, the hand on the barrel of the bat would be in play, while the hand at the base would be considered part of the body... something to do with the hand being in the strike zone or not, if I remember correctly. :wacko:

The hand being in the strike zone is the third thing.

You got the other two situations right. We got hosed on this last night. Our boy was trying to avoid a pitch and ended up getting hit in the hand. Rather than walking in the tying run, the ump called it a foul ball. I was not a happy camper, but since they're only 8, I only mildly protested and then let it go. He then struck out and we lost by one. I knew I was right, but like I said - wasn't worth making a spectacle over.

If not bunting, does it have to do with a player making no attempt to avoid the pitch?

When I umpired, I always considered a bunt attempt to = a swing attempt so for purposes of this discussion, they're the same.

I'm thinking if maybe a player dives over the plate, or somehow in another way his hand(s) end up in the strike zone and is hit while they're there. Like I said, considerably more rare.

Edited by Cunning Runt