[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wine Valley Golf Club in Walla Walla, WA

Sugar Magnolia

If so, what did you think.

Doing an eastern Oregon trip ending in Walla Walla in July.

I played it the first weekend in May after all 18 had only been open a couple weeks. I was over there for a wine weekend with friends and most of the wineries opened at 10am, but I couldn't miss the chance to play the course. The pro was nice enough to let me go off 15 minutes before the first scheduled tee time so I wouldn't have anyone slowing me down...even the greenskeepers hurried to stay ahead of me. I played from the tips (walking) and at almost 7400 yds, the distances seemed daunting. The course definitely didn't play that long...not even close as on those fairways, I hit a couple of drives 50 yds farther than one of my typical better drives (finished in 2:45, shot 75).

The layout is amazing. Dan Hixson did another amazing job (Have you played Bandon Crossings?). There were a few small bare spots on a handful of greens and a couple of the fairways that need some maturation time, but this is going to be a course that I look forward to playing everytime I head to Walla Walla (a couple times a year). Obviously Walla Walla isn't a busy town and this course was brand new, but when I came off the course at 9:30, there were maybe 10 cars in the parking lot. I hope it either has the financial backing to have a couple slow years or people start playing it soon!

This is certainly a new favorite course and well worth playing! I can't wait to go back!

• 2 months later...
I played it the first weekend in May after all 18 had only been open a couple weeks. I was over there for a wine weekend with friends and most of the wineries opened at 10am, but I couldn't miss the chance to play the course. The pro was nice enough to let me go off 15 minutes before the first scheduled tee time so I wouldn't have anyone slowing me down...even the greenskeepers hurried to stay ahead of me. I played from the tips (walking) and at almost 7400 yds, the distances seemed daunting. The course definitely didn't play that long...not even close as on those fairways, I hit a couple of drives 50 yds farther than one of my typical better drives (finished in 2:45, shot 75).

The layout is amazing. Dan Hixson did another amazing job (Have you played Bandon Crossings?). There were a few small bare spots on a handful of greens and a couple of the fairways that need some maturation time, but this is going to be a course that I look forward to playing everytime I head to Walla Walla (a couple times a year). Obviously Walla Walla isn't a busy town and this course was brand new, but when I came off the course at 9:30, there were maybe 10 cars in the parking lot. I hope it either has the financial backing to have a couple slow years or people start playing it soon!

This is certainly a new favorite course and well worth playing! I can't wait to go back!

I really enjoyed the course. I love the links style courses. Felt pretty macho when I was driving 210-220 yards. The pros were saying the fairways and greens weren't rolling as usual because they were putting a milliion gallons of water on it a day--it was 105 the day I played ita record heat day for Walla Walla. Walking and carrying a bag in that heat was brutal. Where they had sprinklers running in the natural areas I walked right in and soaked myself. As far as Walla Walla-meh. I am not so much into wine that I got a lot out of the town. My typical wine tasting venture is half tasting and half enjoying the beautiful surrounds of the typical wine country I have been to. I find Walla Walla to be quite ugly and unappealing. The hotels were outrageously expensive too.