[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lived in the US for too long

Dr. Sacrebleu

'Cause this seems really really wrong to me. I would call it terrorism, yet the French populace has not batted an eye at it. Haven't met anyone who thinks this is really bad.

A group of French workers facing layoffs obtained extra money after threatening to blow up industrial equipment at their plant, labor union representatives said on Friday.

The workers, at JLG, a manufacturing company, were the third in France to make similar threats this month, after workers from Nortel, the telecommunications equipment maker, and New Fabris, a car parts maker.

JLG workers at three plants in southwestern France had been on strike for three weeks over a management plan to lay off 53 of them. After hearing news of the threats made at Nortel and New Fabris, they followed suit.

On Wednesday, the JLG workers placed four of the company’s products — large platform cranes with a total value estimated at $352,400 — in a car park and surrounded them with gas cylinders and kindling.

After talks that lasted well into Thursday night, management met their demand that laid-off workers receive 30,000 euros, or about $42,300, in compensation, and the strikers removed the gas cylinders and returned the cranes to the factory, said Christian Amadio, a JLG worker representative.

At Nortel, talks with management resumed, while workers at New Fabris are still threatening to blow up their factory.

Such threats signal a new escalation in tactics used by disgruntled French workers after episodes in which managers were detained by employees on company premises.

Authorities have used tough language to denounce such actions but have refrained from sending in the police to break up protests. France has a history of labor unrest, and the government wants to avoid an escalation of violence.

I thought this was going to be a rant against the combination of no air conditioning plus no window screens--meaning that you are faced with the choice of either burning to death at night or else being eaten alive by bugs.

(If you had been in Germany, I would have figured your complaint was about how toilet bowls there only seem to hold about half a liter of water and use only about one liter per flush--meaning that every toilet in Germany has sh|t stuck to the inside of the bowl.)

(If you had been in Germany, I would have figured your complaint was about how toilet bowls there only seem to hold about half a liter of water and use only about one liter per flush--meaning that every toilet in Germany has sh|t stuck to the inside of the bowl.)

Do they still build them the wrong way round?