[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Conference Finals Predictions/Discussion

Hugh 0ne

Eagles Fan:

Ok, this is just sick...I need to start betting again.  I nailed Calgary in 6 & TB in 7. 

I am sad that my team, the Flyers, are not going to have a shot at Calgary. 

TB played very well and I am happy that 2 teams not named Col, Det, or NJ are playing for the cup.  The NHL may not be happy ...

I guarantee that CBC is happy as a pig in crap. You think the Canadian audience enjoyed watching Anaheim play NJ last year? How the times have changed. Look at the finals from the last 20 years or so: (winner listed first)

84 Edm vs. NYI

85 Edm vs. PHI

86 Mon vs. Cal (Thank you Steve Smith)

87 Edm vs. PHI

88 Edm vs. BOS

89 Cal vs. Mon

90 Edm vs. Bos (Mess proves he is a beast)

91 Pit vs. Min

92 Pit vs. Chicago

93 Mon vs. LA (Gretz dooms the Leafs)

94 NYR vs. Van

To this point, we have 11 Canadian teams in 11 years in the finals.

Now from 95 on:

95 NJ vs Det

96 Col vs FLA

97 Det vs. PHI

98 Det vs. Was

99 Dalas vs. Buf

00 NJ vs. Dallas

01 Col vs. NJ

02 Det vs. Car

03 NJ vs Ana

95-03 ZERO Canadian teams in Finals. The reasons? They are many. The obvious reason is expansion. Back in the 80s and early 90s there were less teams, which means a better chance to win, obviously. The weak Canadian dollar over the last 10 years has not helped. With the escalation of player salaries, Canadian teams have trouble competing in the free agent game. Not to mention the taxes. This year's finals will be a welcome sight for Canadian viewers. I can say without a doubt, having lived in two places who are rabid about a particular sport (Ontario, where hockey is undisputed, unchallenged king, and Lexington, where you can't go 5 minutes without hearing a college basketball conversation, even in the middle of summer) that Canadians are as passionate about hockey as any fans in the world are about any sport. I for one will root for the Flames, although I would be happy to see Canucks St. Louis, Lecavalier, and Richards lead TB to a cup. Parity runs rampant in every sport. Just ask the Boston Red Sox, who in the last 90 years have two fewer World Seriest Titles than the Toronto Blue Jays have in the last 12. (Not to mention the Marlins.)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Cyclones:

I guarantee that CBC is happy as a pig in crap.

Absolutely without question. thumbs_u Most in the states don't get CBC from their local cable provider...... living so close to the border here in Seattle.... we do. And everything is Canucks right now... EVERYTHING. Almost over the top. The only other sporting event that CBC covers as much this... is the Olympics.

They'll be do'in up close & personal bits on Lecavalier, St. Louis & any other Canucks on TB's squad... but make no mistake about it..... the CBC wants the Flames to win, and 2 minutes into their telecast it's very evident. :D