[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft strategy for the middle of a snake?

Hey all,

Usually I am "lucky" enough to be on either end of a snake draft. This year I am stuck dead in the middle at #7 in a 12 team league. This is an ESPN standard league, no PPR.

What I am wondering, seeing as how there doesn't seem to be much depth at either WR or RB this year... I would like to plan, position-wise, my first four moves.

Right now I am thinking WR, WR, RB, QB. That locks down possibly TWO of the elite 9 or 10 WRs out there (let's say Fitz and Steve Smith), and gets me a semi-decent back as my primary back... like Barber, Brown, or Thomas. QB I'm not too worried about taking in the fourth, certainly Schaub and Hasselbeck are high quality starters.

The thing is with this strategy, my starting two RBs are kind of garbo... unless I am lucky enough to find a diamond in the rough like I did with Chris Johnson last year.

Maybe I should go WR, RB, WR, QB? But I still only get one good RB, and the amount better he is over a second elite WR is how much?

What are your lineup requirements?

My group has the 7th pick in WCOFF, albeit that is with PPR scoring, and there is some debate about if there is a strong enough case to be made about going WR in the first. I have yet to be convinced based on who I see available each round from some MDC analysis (thanks to GTS).

With a middle pick, I recommend trying to stay balanced and therefore, flexible. Go RB first if you like the options there, if not take your favorite WR. Beyond that look for value. In the seven spot you should have plenty of access to value picks. I would probably recommend going for 2WRs and 2 RBs in the first four unless a great QB falls in your lap. Then take advantage of bargains at TE and QB as they appear. Committing too heavily to either RBs or WRs early makes you less able to take advantage of value when it is available.

-Heroes