[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Live Music on Television

Savage Beatings

sucks.

Watching the NBC pre-game live shows, and it's pretty bad (Black Eyed Peas and Tim McGruff)... then it dawns on me. As much as I LOVE seeing live music, it just doesn't translate to television. Even the best live televised shows kinda suck. I think it might have something to do with the fact that they have to mic up the performers to the point where there is hardly any crowd noise at all. Maybe not. I don't know... it just isn't good.

sucks.

Watching the NBC pre-game live shows, and it's pretty bad (Black Eyed Peas and Tim McGruff)... then it dawns on me. As much as I LOVE seeing live music, it just doesn't translate to television. Even the best live televised shows kinda suck. I think it might have something to do with the fact that they have to mic up the performers to the point where there is hardly any crowd noise at all. Maybe not. I don't know... it just isn't good.

Part of it is that the show itself is so staged that I believe that it takes away from the musical performance. I can't speak as to how these performers are in concert, but for myself, the more dancing and strutting and other stuff a performer does, the more it takes away from the music and the less I like it.

Watching live music on TV is the worst of both worlds. As has been mentioned, the energy doesn't translate at all. On the other hand, you don't get the tightness of a studio product. So, it basically sucks. Add to it the fake-hyper pretty people they have rush the stage, most of whom you want to punch...

well if you're talking about halftime shows and such, yeah, they are usually god-awful (except for prince). lots of factors go into that....the size of the arena, the acoustic set-up, the fakeness of it all. but there are a lot of recorded concert type things that are good, some studio performace type shows (think unplugged, crossroads) that can be interesting. can't paint with too broad a brush.

well if you're talking about halftime shows and such, yeah, they are usually god-awful (except for prince). lots of factors go into that....the size of the arena, the acoustic set-up, the fakeness of it all. but there are a lot of recorded concert type things that are good, some studio performace type shows (think unplugged, crossroads) that can be interesting. can't paint with too broad a brush.

+1. I have a bunch of concert DVDs that translate just fine to TV / home theater. SB halftimes and other sports event "concerts" are (almost) uniformly vomit-inducing and are better spent cleaning out the cat's litter box.

any of the NFL staged-type shows are for the gays

BUT some of the HD channels, Mojo, palladia among others have some pretty kick-ass live shows that sound awesome and translate great to TV

Yup, and yup.

:wacko: I had to edit a 3 word reply.

Edited by Cameltosis