[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some of you guys have done this

Rebellab

Little background. Following college I took a job and moved back to South Dakota. I worked at that job for 12 years. I needed a change so last January I basically switched professions. Bought a house, got my $8000 from the government for first time home buyer. Love where I live, lots of friends, hunting, golf. My family is just 4 hours away, the wife's family is down the street. My wife has a great job that she loves. We will never find a house like we have right now.

So with all that said, I am not necessarily happy with my career move. I have applied for a job that I think that I have a legitimate shot at getting. It should be more money, getting back into my old profession to a certain extent. Basically if I were to get this job or any job worth a poopy, we would have to pick up and move. The current deal would be to southeast Indiana near Cincinnati. I have lived away from South Dakota for about a year and a half during college, other than that my whole life has been spent here. Oddly enough the year and a half was in Cincinnati.

So many of you have packed up the family and moved, what was it like? Would you do it again? I just can't envision my wife and I living somewhere else, but I feel we can. I am moving for money, not sure how I feel about that.

Any experiences are appreciated.

Little background. Following college I took a job and moved back to South Dakota. I worked at that job for 12 years. I needed a change so last January I basically switched professions. Bought a house, got my $8000 from the government for first time home buyer. Love where I live, lots of friends, hunting, golf. My family is just 4 hours away, the wife's family is down the street. My wife has a great job that she loves. We will never find a house like we have right now.

So with all that said, I am not necessarily happy with my career move. I have applied for a job that I think that I have a legitimate shot at getting. It should be more money, getting back into my old profession to a certain extent. Basically if I were to get this job or any job worth a poopy, we would have to pick up and move. The current deal would be to southeast Indiana near Cincinnati. I have lived away from South Dakota for about a year and a half during college, other than that my whole life has been spent here. Oddly enough the year and a half was in Cincinnati.

So many of you have packed up the family and moved, what was it like? Would you do it again? I just can't envision my wife and I living somewhere else, but I feel we can. I am moving for money, not sure how I feel about that.

Any experiences are appreciated.

While the bolded part is important, it is only one factor in your decision. Now you said you aren't necessarily happy with your career move. Does that mean you don't enjoy your job or you simply don't like the pay? The reason I ask is you didn't say you were excited about the work you'll be doing but that you would make more money. Unless it's a LOT more money, I have a difficult time seeing that the benefits outweigh the cost (moving away from both families, your wife leaving a great job she loves, etc.)

You may need to sit down with your wife and make a simple list of pros and cons on a sheet of paper. From what you described there are a lot of things you two would be sacrificing for the move.

Good luck in your decision.

I've done it/am doing it.

I think such a move would be easier if you don't have any kids and don't plan on having any kids in the future.

One thing that is hard is when you have an emergency of some sort... who will you call?

My situation is somewhat unique so my wife and I basically had to move away from our families, but if I were in your shoes, I would think very long and hard about moving--and it would take a LOT of money to get me to go.

(To be honest, unless your wife REALLY wants to move, I wouldn't do it.)

Let me add, the job I currently have is not what I expected. The pay is great and I can not make what I make currently in another job in this community.

I believe the job that I have applied for is going to be a lot of fun, and it deals with my former profession without being directly involved as I was before

Wiege: no kids, can't have them unless we adopt which we have ruled out

Edited by Rebellab

Let me add, the job I currently have is not what I expected. The pay is great and I can not make what I make currently in another job in this community.

I believe the job that I have applied for is going to be a lot of fun, and it deals with my former profession without being directly involved as I was before

Wiege: no kids, can't have them unless we adopt which we have ruled out

Without kids it would be a LOT easier to make such a move--but that doesn't mean it will be easy. It might not be overly easy to make good friends when you move, but as long as you and your wife like doing similar things, that might not be such a problem. I still wouldn't move unless your wife really wants to move.

I've done this sort of move twice, once to go to graduate school (from CT to PA) and once for a job (from PA to VA). It's not necessarily easy but I believe that with everything in life, it is what you make of it. Getting plugged into the community quickly can make all the difference. Church (uggh), volunteering, rec league (softball, kickball, what have you) are good ways to start to get to know people. Make an effort to go out and try all those corny things the locals are proud of. In other words, embrace the change, don't fight it.

The only other thing I will say is to pay the movers to do everything. Pack, move, unload, everything. A long distance move sucks ass, you're going to have enough to do you don't need the hassle of packing everything up on top of things. Yes it will be expensive, but it is worth every penny spent. Trust me.