[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nudism on the Rampage

muck

Please forgive the somewhat delicate topic of today’s commentary but there has been a rash of strange stories that revolve around nudism and it makes one wonder if this is some kind of recession era trend. The Germans have decided to open up certain trails in the forests of the country for nude hiking. The trails are to be well marked so that one will not be shocked but one has to wonder about the appeal in the first place. Perhaps the bears complained that the clothing was not all that appetizing. Meanwhile a group of elite police in Australia were disciplined for engaging in a mad nude rush around their own unmarked police van. Alcohol was involved (go figure). This comes on top of the investigation into embassy guards in Iraq and their nude initiations. There have been almost 100 attempted armed robberies by nude men this year in the US alone. Has the recession hit the criminal class so hard that they can’t afford clothes anymore? Will they use their ill-gotten gains to make some purchases? Was the nudity designed to stun their prey?

Analysis: I have no idea what this explosion of nakedness means in the great scheme of things. I do know that clothing and middle age are inextricably linked. I suspect that there is some tension relief in the act of shedding but I also suspect that those who are mere bystanders are not getting the relief the participants might. In the Great Depression people were depicted as too poor to afford anything other than a barrel to protect their modesty. Maybe the recession of 2008-2009 is going one step further. I almost guarantee that somebody would find an instant solution to unemployment if those 7 million people showed up in Washington and stripped.