[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting article on income distribution

wiegie

just those that are extra-legal (prostitution and drugs). I was really agreeing with you - the gov't has too much "influence" over everything. It clearly should not have the power it does. :wacko:

I agree on a micro basis, but I cant think of ANY govt on earth that has a "free market" economy that isnt directly and indirectly influenced by govt.

The business of govt has been, and always will be about . .. . . . big business. That goes for every single govt on earth, not just the US.

Unfortunately I dont think we can unring that bell . . . :D

just those that are extra-legal (prostitution and drugs). I was really agreeing with you - the gov't has too much "influence" over everything. It clearly should not have the power it does. :wacko:

In the case of the "free" market, it isn't just government that has the influence, it's the cartels that masquerade as businesses. Sure, the government creates the loopholes and such but it's business that buys them.

Perch define a "bailout". Do you think preferential business steered toward a company by an elected official is a "bailout"? Do you think that having political clout can protect CEOs from unethical behavior?

Outside of the bank bailouts we started last year and continued this year, it can be argued that corporate welfare "bailouts" are committed every day. From tax incentives from local municipalities to federal grants, the US contributes to growing that top % in everything it does.

To pretend that the "free" market doesnt cost everyone else is a fallacy.

See you forget or haven't been around long enough to know I'm against all subsidies. I'm for getting rid of all tax credits or tax breaks, and just lowering every one's taxes.

Yes I think having political clout can protect a CEO just like it protects community organizers,or for that matter politicians themselves. I don't think it should, but it does. Part of the reason for all of this is our government has been bastardized into something it was never intended to be, and doing so has become a pool of corruption.

See you forget or haven't been around long enough to know I'm against all subsidies. I'm for getting rid of all tax credits or tax breaks, and just lowering every one's taxes.

Yes I think having political clout can protect a CEO just like it protects community organizers,or for that matter politicians themselves. I don't think it should, but it does. Part of the reason for all of this is our government has been bastardized into something it was never intended to be, and doing so has become a pool of corruption.

Perch, this concept of having the gubmnet protect the interests of businesses only goes BACK to the founding fathers. Back then, if you didnt own land and not white, you couldnt VOTE. Therefore, the govt only represented the will of the RICH i.e. owners of businesses . . .

remember when monopolies were openly protected by govt for years?

This is essentially . . . the American way . . . . :wacko:

Perch, this concept of having the gubmnet protect the interests of businesses only goes BACK to the founding fathers. Back then, if you didnt own land and not white, you couldnt VOTE. Therefore, the govt only represented the will of the RICH i.e. owners of businesses . . .

remember when monopolies were openly protected by govt for years?

This is essentially . . . the American way . . . . :wacko:

Prior the the centralization under Lincoln the federal government was very weak and rarely effected the lives of the average citizen. It pretty much stayed out the markets with the exception of the central bank debacle that Jackson did away with only to have Lincoln start it back up.