[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First acoustic guitar suggestions

Jimmy Neutron

Looking for a decent beginner instrument for < $200. Can such a beast be had? TIA

There is no photo but for $200 this is what you want. You'll buy a guitar for less then $150 and end up spending more than this by the time you add in all the little things like tuners, gig bags and straps. It's a Mexican Fender, nothing earth shaking, but it's a solid guitar. For a beginner that you don't know will stay with it, this is a great place to start.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-DG-8S-A...415-i1146547.gc

It may be different for 12-year olds, but when my 8-year old started guitar, we were told more than once that electric was the way to go....if only because the strings are easier to manage for their little fingers, makes learning easier, and limits discouragement that they can't get the right notes/chords because the strings are further apart with an acoustic.

Go figure...I would never have even thought of that.

There is no photo but for $200 this is what you want. You'll buy a guitar for less then $150 and end up spending more than this by the time you add in all the little things like tuners, gig bags and straps. It's a Mexican Fender, nothing earth shaking, but it's a solid guitar. For a beginner that you don't know will stay with it, this is a great place to start.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-DG-8S-A...415-i1146547.gc

Exact guitar I have right now. If he drops it after a year or two, no biggie. If he goes on to enjoy and be pretty good it makes a good knock-around or camping guitar.

It may be different for 12-year olds, but when my 8-year old started guitar, we were told more than once that electric was the way to go....if only because the strings are easier to manage for their little fingers, makes learning easier, and limits discouragement that they can't get the right notes/chords because the strings are further apart with an acoustic.

Go figure...I would never have even thought of that.

IMO, this is exactly why you don't want him on an electric. It'll make him lazy and he won't ever develop the strength for an acoustic. :wacko:

Just make sure and get a tuner. Once it gets outta tune and they can't get it back by ear they will just sit the guitar down. I remember be frustrated like that at first. YOUTUBE is a wonderful thing... "RockingGoodPeople" is really helpful

:wacko:

Is there a reason you don't think Neutron's child will become a teenager?

Dude, I took up the guitar at 28. It wasn't easy for me then, and if I'd started on an electric there's no way I'd be able to hold down chords on an acoustic. You have to develop the control for it, and if you can play the electric then the acoustic just becomes too frustrating.

Dude, I took up the guitar at 28. It wasn't easy for me then, and if I'd started on an electric there's no way I'd be able to hold down chords on an acoustic. You have to develop the control for it, and if you can play the electric then the acoustic just becomes too frustrating.

I have to echo this. If you can play the acoustic then you can play an electric. Not so the other way around. I understand the point about getting discouraged, but you know what? There are a lot of discouraging things out there in this world. If the child is going to quit over a little somthing like that then the child wasn't really committed to the guitar in the first place. Also, at eight years old, the child is going to change their focus many times so investing in an electric and an amp and all the other things that goes with it is a bigger chunk of change than an acoustic.