[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HDTV for Parents

Swashbucklers

My sisters and I are looking to get my parents a new TV for Christmas. I know what I like, but they are a simple folk. They don't need anything extravagant or anything. They will not be watching Blu-Ray movies or anything, just television. I am starting to scour through ads and such, waiting for Black Friday ads to come out. The Saturday Tech sale at Wallmart got us thinking about this. We go over there quite a bit for holidays and such, and I find it hard to watch sports in standard definition (so in a sense, it is for me and my brother-in-law as well!). This is something they will like, but would never buy for themselves. So is it necessary for us to go with the 1080p or would 720p suffice for their needs? There current TVs are 39" and 27" so I am looking for a 37"-42" television. Like I said, they are pretty simple folks, so I don't need all the bells and whistles, just a decent picture that will make them happy! Thanks for any and all advice/suggestions!

My sisters and I are looking to get my parents a new TV for Christmas. I know what I like, but they are a simple folk. They don't need anything extravagant or anything. They will not be watching Blu-Ray movies or anything, just television. I am starting to scour through ads and such, waiting for Black Friday ads to come out. The Saturday Tech sale at Wallmart got us thinking about this. We go over there quite a bit for holidays and such, and I find it hard to watch sports in standard definition (so in a sense, it is for me and my brother-in-law as well!). This is something they will like, but would never buy for themselves. So is it necessary for us to go with the 1080p or would 720p suffice for their needs? There current TVs are 39" and 27" so I am looking for a 37"-42" television. Like I said, they are pretty simple folks, so I don't need all the bells and whistles, just a decent picture that will make them happy! Thanks for any and all advice/suggestions!

ive read and been told that anything 42 and under needs only 720p. you dont realize the benefits of 1080p on those sizes.

Edited by dmarc117

720p will work just fine for them :wacko:

1080p would be a waste if they're not going to hook up a BluRay/etc and not run HDMI cables, etc...

I guess one word of caution/advice, make sure that your folks are willing to pay the extra money for HD programming. Standard def can look a little fuzzy on bigger screens so you'll want to give some thought to what they have and what they like to watch.

720p will work just fine for them :wacko:

1080p would be a waste if they're not going to hook up a BluRay/etc and not run HDMI cables, etc...

I guess one word of caution/advice, make sure that your folks are willing to pay the extra money for HD programming. Standard def can look a little fuzzy on bigger screens so you'll want to give some thought to what they have and what they like to watch.

I would definitely be getting them some HDMI cables. Would that make a dfference? And I plan on paying the extra for the HD/DVR box per month.

I would definitely be getting them some HDMI cables. Would that make a dfference? And I plan on paying the extra for the HD/DVR box per month.
HDMI or Component, the picture quality will be essentially the same. If you are going 1080p HDMI is the way you want to go. HDMI's advantage is that it carries audio on the same cable, plus it's only a single connector.

If you wanted to be nice, you could also get them a decent home theater in a box. Yes it is a little fancier then they might need, but if you are going to have a HD TV, you need to have surround sound too. Just make sure that the HTIB will support sound over HDMI if you go that route, or coax/optical digital sound if your STB has one of those outputs.

Whatever cables you buy, buy them here. Do not buy anything that has the name "Monster" or "Bose" on it.

Edited by cdrudge