[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Awesome deal at Best Buy this week

matt770

I held out as long as I could. The prices and quality of the HD sets out now, plus the new low price on the PS3 with Netflix, blu-ray and Web functionality were just too much for me to resist any longer. My main set for the past 12 years has been an old-fashioned 32-inch Toshiba. It did a great job and will still be used, but I'm upgrading to a 52 inch LCD and finally converting our basement into the main TV room which has been long overdue!

So here's the deal: if you buy a Sony Bravia LCD TV, PS3 slim 120GB, PS3 game, and a blu-ray movie, you get a nice discount. They only let you choose between 3 games and 3 movies. The prices on those remain constant as does the PS3 at $299. But when you have all 4 items in your cart, the TV price drops substantially. I had it narrowed down to two sets, the KDL-52V5100 and the KDL-52Z5100. The V series has a really nice picture but a few scary reviews about sound cutting out. That set has a list price of $1999, on sale this week for $1499, and with the package deal it drops to $1071. Really incredible deal and still mostly positive reviews, but I just didn't want to risk having the same issues that a few users had.

I ended up getting the Z series even though it was a bit more than I wanted to spend. It's rated higher across the board by experts and users alike, and in fact the picture is considered identical to the 52XBR9 which sells for a lot more. The Z has a list price of $2499, on sale for $1999 this week, and with the package deal, $1521. So with the PS3, Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 blu ray, and Uncharted 2 - Among Thieves game, the total came to $1910. The picture on this TV is just astounding, can't wait to watch football on it!!

I went from SD to HD earlier this year. What's funny is I recall buying my tube set about 4 or 5years ago and being angushied it was US$350.00 My HDTV hit 2k and I was stoked! :wacko:

Keep an eye on blu-ray.com - they have the best links to any and all blu ray promotions. Between them and amazon you will rarely pay more than 10 bucks a DVD. Newer films like Star Trek can't be had for less than 20. But just ask savage: we swap info on 10 dollar blu rays all the time.

I am kind of looking around for one too and had my eye on the Samsung, 52" 1080p, 120 hz, LCD at best buy. They had it at $1589 about a month ago and now it is at $1389. Last week they dropped it by $200 if you buy a Samsung blue ray which cost $200. I almost pulled the trigger, but I am going to hold out until the week after Christmas or new years and see if it drops. I looked everywhere and so far best Buy has had the best prices.

ETA: They pulled the Blue Ray deal, so now I am holding out...

Edited by Outshined

I went from SD to HD earlier this year. What's funny is I recall buying my tube set about 4 or 5years ago and being angushied it was US$350.00 My HDTV hit 2k and I was stoked! :wacko:

Keep an eye on blu-ray.com - they have the best links to any and all blu ray promotions. Between them and amazon you will rarely pay more than 10 bucks a DVD. Newer films like Star Trek can't be had for less than 20. But just ask savage: we swap info on 10 dollar blu rays all the time.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Also can't wait to see if streaming Netflix movies come across in 1080p with similar quality to a blu-ray disc.

Forgot the best part! Best Buy is also doing 36 months no interest right now. As I told my wife, we can't afford NOT to buy a new TV. :D

Congrats on the upgrade. I recently read an article about these "deals"

http://hdguru.com/dont-be-misled-by-best-b...s3-bundles/900/

I am not posting this to rain on your parade, just thought it might be of interest to anyone else looking to jump on this.

I get the point that Best Buy's claim of $789 - $1100 savings is not accurate because the TVs never sell for MSRP, but any way you slice it, my TV cannot be had anywhere else at the price I got it. The PS3, game and movie are essentially free, and 3 years with no interest is a no-brainer.

I know a lot of people hate big box stores and Best Buy in particular, but a deal is a deal. Even this article says:

Regardless of the misleading savings, a number of the packages are sweet deals.

Walmart had a 52" LCD - 120 Hz Sharp a few weeks back for 898.00. It came with a 3 year warranty for 69 bucks.

These T.Vs are basically made by a few manufactures. Some just come with different bells and whistles.

Blue Ray will be the standard a year from now. You wont be able to buy a DVD player without Blue-ray.

LED will be hyped for awhile and the LCD will become very cheap . The plasmas are the real bargain basement right now.

found this

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. this month will sell a bundle that includes Sony Corp.'s Playstation 3 and a Bravia LCD HDTV for under $960 in a retail special.

The KDL-46TVPS3PKG bundle will include a Bravia 46" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV and a PS3 120GB SKU in a single box SKU at $958.

This week Best Buy Co. Inc. is selling a PS3, 46" LCD HDTV, PS3 game title, and Blu-ray disc at $950.96 in a similar retail offer.

Edited by moneymakers

I get the point that Best Buy's claim of $789 - $1100 savings is not accurate because the TVs never sell for MSRP, but any way you slice it, my TV cannot be had anywhere else at the price I got it. The PS3, game and movie are essentially free, and 3 years with no interest is a no-brainer.

I know a lot of people hate big box stores and Best Buy in particular, but a deal is a deal. Even this article says:

I was not posting this to imply you got a bad deal or that there were not deals to be had, but simply as an informational tool for others who may also be looking into these deals. Nothing more.

I was not posting this to imply you got a bad deal or that there were not deals to be had, but simply as an informational tool for others who may also be looking into these deals. Nothing more.

You put "deals" in quotes and said you didn't want to rain on my parade, what other implication was I to draw from that?

I'll say the article does a good job of breaking down all the bundles so you don't have to go to the trouble of putting all the items in your cart, but otherwise the main point is that Best Buy's ad is misleading. It suggests you check Amazon.com for the price of each set, and offers a link to do so. I checked each set on Amazon, and 9 of the 12 sets are more expensive than the set PLUS the PS3, game and movie at Best Buy! Two others are within $100 including shipping and the third is $250 less on Amazon for the set by itself than the package on BB. So in every case, the BB deal is giving you a gaming system/blu-ray player, game and movie for free or at a huge discount.

And if you're not interested in the PS3, game and movie, sell them on Ebay and your savings are ~$500 over Amazon depending on which set you choose. I intend to sell the game and movie.

You put "deals" in quotes and said you didn't want to rain on my parade, what other implication was I to draw from that?

Deals in quotes refers to the misleading claims of saving close to 1K. The comment about raining on your parade was an attempt at a disclaimer that I was not trying suggest you did not get a deal. I subsequently tried to clarify. If that's not good enough for you, there is nothing more I can say. I was not attempting to incite an argument, just provide some information which may be helpful to others who may be evaluating these advertised deals.