[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unions Support higher taxes

The Mucca

Based on your comment as well as the 10% decline in union jobs suggest that more union jobs are lost than non-union jobs?

I wonder if the following is why union jobs are declining, at least in part? I'm in the middle of a hugh kitchen project right now. The company that has the Home Depot contract for installations used to be a flooring company primarily, which is lucky because I'm having the floor replaced too.

Anyway, I've had a chance to meet all the tradesmen and they've been uniformly excellent. Plumbing, electrics, drywall, paint, flooring, cabinetry. Turns out they all used to work directly for this Home Depot sub-contractor which was a union shop. One Friday the company fired all it's workers, shut the shop, opened the Saturday morning with a new name and brought back most of it's workers but as sub-contractors. How nice.

Here's the kicker - all the (ex-union) guys have been great to work with and have done great work. The (non-union) HD sub-contractor couldn't communicate it's way out of a wet paper bag and generally sucks balls. Gotta love business and the way it treats it's workforce. :wacko:

BTW - I have a bunch of work I'll be having done after this project is over. I've gathered all the trades guys contact details and will work with them directly.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the following is why union jobs are declining, at least in part? I'm in the middle of a hugh kitchen project right now. The company that has the Home Depot contract for installations used to be a flooring company primarily, which is lucky because I'm having the floor replaced too.

Anyway, I've had a chance to meet all the tradesmen and they've been uniformly excellent. Plumbing, electrics, drywall, paint, flooring, cabinetry. Turns out they all used to work directly for this Home Depot sub-contractor which was a union shop. One Friday the company fired all it's workers, shut the shop, opened the Saturday morning with a new name and brought back most of it's workers but as sub-contractors. How nice.

Here's the kicker - all the (ex-union) guys have been great to work with and have done great work. The (non-union) HD sub-contractor couldn't communicate it's way out of a wet paper bag and generally sucks balls. Gotta love business and the way it treats it's workforce. :wacko:

BTW - I have a bunch of work I'll be having done after this project is over. I've gathered all the trades guys contact details and will work with them directly.

the purpose of a business is to make money. not coddle people.

the purpose of a business is to make money. not coddle people.

The business sucks at the ONE thing it is supposed to do. All it's ex-workers are excellent at the one thing they do. Period.

BTW, this is worthy of it's own thread but it struck me the other day how much the drumbeat from the right goes on and on about how inefficient government is blah blah blah and how efficient private enterprise is. It's bullchit. Almost all large enterprises are no more efficient than the government and maybe less so.

The business sucks at the ONE thing it is supposed to do. All it's ex-workers are excellent at the one thing they do. Period.

BTW, this is worthy of it's own thread but it struck me the other day how much the drumbeat from the right goes on and on about how inefficient government is blah blah blah and how efficient private enterprise is. It's bullchit. Almost all large enterprises are no more efficient than the government and maybe less so.

This is twaddle and you know it. Could fedgov REALLY operate a car company? Shipping company? Oh yeah, the post office... :wacko:

This is twaddle and you know it. Could fedgov REALLY operate a car company? Shipping company? Oh yeah, the post office... :wacko:

Yet you trust the fedgov to operate wars . . . :D which includes a lot of overseas shipping . . .

But I do agree that the fedgov is not used to operating a business efficently and organise it to turn a profit.

Yet you trust the fedgov to operate wars . . . :wacko: which includes a lot of overseas shipping . . .

But I do agree that the fedgov is not used to operating a business efficently and organise it to turn a profit.

I'm willing to take on all the warmongering the government is doing. Are you willing to give me the football?

Dude you should know better than to go through Home Depot.

:D another circular argument. . . . :wacko: awesome

Hey, you can have UPS deliver a box anywhere. I guarantee both you and me can find health care cheaper on our own than what we would pay via the government through both premiums and taxes. Come to think of it if you gave me the football, I could lob a nuke at the southern invaders, I bet that would go a long way toward protecting our borders. I guess private enterprise is always more efficient. :D

Hey, you can have UPS deliver a box anywhere. I guarantee both you and me can find health care cheaper on our own than what we would pay via the government through both premiums and taxes. Come to think of it if you gave me the football, I could lob a nuke at the southern invaders, I bet that would go a long way toward protecting our borders. I guess private enterprise is always more efficient. :wacko:

I COMPLETELY agree on the health care issue . . . but I beg to differ on the nukes . . . :D Just think how much more efficient securing our border could be with our military not fighting two never ending wars abroad and securing borders instead.

I COMPLETELY agree on the health care issue . . . but I beg to differ on the nukes . . . :D Just think how much more efficient securing our border could be with our military not fighting two never ending wars abroad and securing borders instead.

Yeah, but lob a nuke into northern mexico and nobody would go through there for the next 50 years... :wacko:

Which would do wonders for our interantional image and the massive amount of hispanics already in the US. Viva la revolucion!

See that's where you bleeding hearts get all off track. Who gives a frack about our international image. Most Texans own several guns, so we will be good in la vevolucion, we may lose California, but at this point is that really that great of a loss? I mean it could almost be viewed as a benefit.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

See that's where you bleeding hearts get all off track. Who gives a frack about our international image. Most Texans own several guns, so we will be good in la vevolucion, we may lose California, but at this point is that really that great of a loss? I mean it could almost be viewed as a benefit.

:wacko: At least we have some levity today . . :D

Wouldnt you also lose Arizona, New Mexico, etc? Actually I think most major cities would have a hell of an uprising on their hands . . .

:wacko: At least we have some levity today . . :D

Wouldnt you also lose Arizona, New Mexico, etc? Actually I think most major cities would have a hell of an uprising on their hands . . .

Nope, NM and AZ both have pretty easy concealed carry laws and a good deal of hunters. One of the best shots I know was born and raised in NM. Of course he's been in Texas for 30 years which is probably why he is so good. Most large cities could use a good cleaning anyway, even those here in God's land. :D

Nope, NM and AZ both have pretty easy concealed carry laws and a good deal of hunters. One of the best shots I know was born and raised in NM. Of course he's been in Texas for 30 years which is probably why he is so good. Most large cities could use a good cleaning anyway, even those here in God's land. :wacko:

Pretty sure all those hispanics have guns too jefe . . . . now add in support from hispanic gangs?

Hell . . this sounds like the plot for "Red Dawn" . . . :D

Pretty sure all those hispanics have guns too jefe . . . . now add in support from hispanic gangs?

Hell . . this sounds like the plot for "Red Dawn" . . . :wacko:

If they can't afford health care, how can they afford an AR?

Why? Is it because they are inefficient?

Not so much inefficient as they are just extremely high. With your contacts you should have been able to find subcontractor to do what you wanted done much cheaper, and not had to pay the HD mark-up.

Not so much inefficient as they are just extremely high. With your contacts you should have been able to find subcontractor to do what you wanted done much cheaper, and not had to pay the HD mark-up.

Yeah, maybe. I took a good look round and wasn't that impressed or convinced to be honest. The local market didn't have anyone with enough really good reviews to make me want to go with them, plus the fact that I'm actually addressing three issues in one project so I needed a bigger sub.

Also, I got $5,000+ off the cabinetry. :wacko:

Yeah, maybe. I took a good look round and wasn't that impressed or convinced to be honest. The local market didn't have anyone with enough really good reviews to make me want to go with them, plus the fact that I'm actually addressing three issues in one project so I needed a bigger sub.

Also, I got $5,000+ off the cabinetry. :D

Then you only paid $2,500 too much for that millwork :wacko:

I know I had them price some siding and some windows for me and they wanted twice as much as the next three highest quotes for the windows and 60% more on the siding. Of course I'm sure I'm, probably a lot more willing to take a risk than you might be as can tell if someone in trying to cut corners on most stuff, and make sure it doesn't happen.

ETA: HD does have one hell of a warranty. Of course a reputable manufacture will have a good warranty and if you know what is involved in the install and watch it you really have no need for an installation warranty.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Then you only paid $2,500 too much for that millwork :D

I know I had them price some siding and some windows for me and they wanted twice as much as the next three highest quotes for the windows and 60% more on the siding. Of course I'm sure I'm, probably a lot more willing to take a risk than you might be as can tell if someone in trying to cut corners on most stuff, and make sure it doesn't happen.

ETA: HD does have one hell of a warranty. Of course a reputable manufacture will have a good warranty and if you know what is involved in the install and watch it you really have no need for an installation warranty.

My wife works for HD. I fookin' hate them. Her co-workers know me as the guy who goes to Ace first. :D

I do have to say though that the store manager pinned me down and was genuinely interested in WHY I go somewhere else first. So that's a plus for her, and Sandie says she's well-liked and the store keeps on beating plan, so :wacko:

All that being said, you hit the main reason people go through HD or Lowes - it's a big, easy-to-track-down target if something goes wrong.